Hiring Pool Scaling

bit

I read somewhere that someone was frustrated with how hard it was to populate very large ships.  Rather than work on my work or any of the other mods I had in mind, I made this.

The attached mod makes a change to the way the hiring pool is generated at stations to [nonlinearly] scale for the distance from the center.

Enjoy.  Have fun.  Tinker with it.  As always, please do inform me of bugs.

Installation

Install to /scripts/entity/crewboard.lua

Remarks on the mod, internal details, etc.

In theory, you could scale it by whatever you want, but I chose to make a scale which would provide two bands of high-population.  Within the lore, this might be other wayward travellers struggling towards the center.  Functionally, the outer bands are somewhat depleted as players don't likely need as many people and the drive for more crew would hopefully facilitate exploration.  The two bands correspond roughly to when naonite/trinium and xanion are found.  If materials are balanced away from a heirarchical system and more towards each-one-has-pros-and-cons, there's a fair chance the weightings would be redone.  Of course, there's a wonderful graphic for those who wish to see the details without seeing the code (provided below).  There may have been a slight typo - the X axis is squared-distance from the center and the Y is the modifier over the standard hiring pool.  "Slight".

The file editted was crewboard.lua.  I basically modified the range for how many members of particular classes could spawn.  Only the upper bound was change as I didn't want it to seem like I was making metropoleis out there.

Should you choose to tinker with it, I do have a Python(3.6) script I used to generate some of the Lua code (you'll know it when you see it).  If you are interested, you can certainly try to message me through here, or find me on discord.  That's what I used to generate the figures, etc.  NOTE: The python code is highly insecure and so don't allow for arbitrary input (i.e. don't let other people use your computer while it's running; on Linux, if for some godawful reason you're calling it with root access...).  There was a quick fix to a problem.  Personally, I would just delete the file after I were done.

crewboard.lua

• 1 month later...