Excessive Load Times

Terradoss

RAM: 32gb DDR4

CPU: i7-5820k

GPU: 2x GeForce 980ti

Firstly let me congratulate the developer on such a great game. I'm thoroughly entranced by it and have devoted a considerable amount of time to playing it. Thank you greatly for producing something so enthralling.

An issue I've been experiencing reccurently and with increasing frequency is that of significant load times when jumping between systems.

I'm connecting to a server hosted by a friend of mine and to begin with, jumping into a "hub" or densely populated sector was only the work of about 10 seconds or so, give or take. As we've continued to play, this timeframe has gradually blown out to the point where it now takes consistently in excess of 4-5 minutes to load into a highly populated sector. (For me. This doesn't occur for the person hosting the server, his load times are always near instant.)

Low density systems such as those with an asteroid field or a station or two sit at around the 60 second mark for loading time at the moment whereas unpopulated systems are less than 10 seconds.

The server is restarted on a daily basis and I make sure to restart my client as well, just in case that has any impact. At present, given how much sector jumping the game entails, I'm spending significantly more time loading between sectors than I am actually playing, and unfortunately its becoming somewhat untenable.

I understand my internet connection probably plays a significant part in this and I freely admit it's a looooong way from being good.

Has anybody else encountered such issues with loading times?

Is there anything I can do on my end to try and alleviate the problem?

Is this something I can expect to continue to be an issue for me in the future? Or are there things that may happen to help streamline the loading process?

• Boxelware Team

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoy it!

I understand my internet connection probably plays a significant part in this and I freely admit it's a looooong way from being good.

This is exactly what's causing it. Sectors more towards the middle have larger stations (in terms of block numbers) and take longer to download. Your rig shouldn't have any problem displaying the game, but your internet connection is slow so downloading sectors takes longer.

Is there anything I can do on my end to try and alleviate the problem?

Not really, except for upgrading your Internet connection.

Is this something I can expect to continue to be an issue for me in the future? Or are there things that may happen to help streamline the loading process?

We'll compress sent data in the future so you have less data to download. This should improve loading screens a lot.