Scytales Laboratories, Optimized Starter Ships and Ship Modules [.xml]

Scytales

Welcome To Scytales Laboratories

We design and produce extremely efficient and optimized starting ships that double as ship modules, easily installed into existing ships.

Using Void Drive Technology, (clipping blocks into each other) we can achieve feats never before seen ingame.

Feel free to browse through and download our ships/modules in xml form and try them out yourself.

Our Products

The X-009 Needlepoint

-A tiny ship designed to function with no crew.

Costs: $1101 and 547 Iron

wbqIdYC.png

This is the X-009 Needlepoint, an optimized scout/explorer/ and mini miner/salvager

* Extremely small size

* Boosts to a max speed of 1141 m/s

* Flies faster/better than the default drone with extreme maneuverability

* Brakes almost instantly, in any orientation

* Frustratingly difficult to hit in combat

* Can run with NO CREW. (although you do take damage over time without a mechanic)

* Can mount your awesome looted turrets, and has space for a system upgrade (unlike your drone)

* Makes use of "Void Drive Technology" (Basically overlapping/clipping blocks to reduce size)

* Relatively cheap and can outrun almost everything in the game

* Requires only a little bit of iron and some money

* Can function as an engine/thruster system on any ship its plugged into

Costs:

$1101

547 Iron

-You can opt not to hire a mechanic for it, and it will function perfectly without crew, but it is recommended to hire at least one.

-You can hire 3 professional miners to mount 2 mining/salvage turrets, and eventually, when your miners level up, you will only need 2.

-Gunners work the same way, although this is not a combat vessel and will die in one hit.

-When thrusting, do not hold down the space bar for too long. The craft will still cruise at around 1km/s when thrusting every few seconds.

Please note that this might as well be made of paper, since it generally explodes when anything hits it. You do have the advantage of speed and extreme maneuverability.

Recommended combat maneuver: Run away a lot.

Recommended system upgrade: Weeeeeeeee

(try to use a crappy common one)

You won't believe how well this flies until you try it. I assure you, you will be pleased.

* Extra note: Since the Needlepoint was originally designed as an engine, it can connect to any rear-facing surface and lend its awesome size-to-thrust/brake ratio to any vessel. Just copy the design to the clipboard and literally stick a Needlepoint to the rear of your ship.

KkJ9A1l.png

The Mk1 Titanium Void Generator

-A generator capable of producing 17 times the power of a generator its size.

-Generates 1.02 GW of pure energy to power your amazing creations. Since The Mk1 is tiny, you can add more for more power...

Costs: $7430 and 613 Titanium

hvC00Ml.png

Please note, the Mk1 Void Generator does not function as a ship. It was designed only as a ship module

The Mk2 Void Shield

- Requested by customer Ertil87, Void Shields in the 1x1x1 form factor seen previously in other Void Tech Modules.

- 2 Varieties are available in the archived .zip

Naonite - $13843 - 1315 Naonite - 2067 Shield HP

Trinium - $15697 - 1315 Trinium - 3100 Shield HP

Due to a random mix-up in the lab, the first edition of the Mk2 was incorrectly labeled.

The Mk. 7 Void Drive

- A ship / ship module with a spammable low block count, and a 1X1X2 block form factor, a quarter of the size of the starting iron block.

- Performance comparable to typical engine/thruster components 10 times its size.

Costs: $693 and 319 Iron

i06GwZr.png

This ship / ship module was designed to have a modular 1x1x2 form factor, easily installed into any ship, replacing large and bulky ship propulsion systems.

You can use this instead of engines and thrusters, and reduce your ships' cross-section.

As a ship, it performs similarly to the X-009 Needlepoint, although larger with reduced braking thrust.

*Note: Deleting the Iron Framework shell will delete the entire void drive.

X009Needlepoint.xml

Mk7VoidDrive.xml

Mk1TIVoidGenerator.xml

Mk2-3VoidShieldNaoniteTriniumV2.zip

holy crap thats small, love the idea and will be useing it on my own ships

Thank you !!

You're welcome :)

Also you can hire just one single engineer and stick 3 of them end-to-end, human centipede style, and they still retain all their properties, but now with a max velocity of 550 m/s :P

KkJ9A1l.png

One flaw - @45hp it wouldn't last long in a firefight

15 hp.

Yeah. Like wet, soggy paper. This was not designed to be a combat vessel. Nobody goes into combat in an iron ship. Much less a tiny iron ship about 5 times the length of the drone.

You CAN plug these into the insides of a fully armored combat vessel though, a few of these replacing engines and thrusters. A comparable iron engine with this performance is about 10 times the size of the X009...

The reason why I never made upgraded material versions of these was because by the time you get enough titanium, you're better off making a less-zippy, but hulking armored behemoth to explore until you get shields.

Also at 112 tiny blocks, making these take far too long.

These serve as my disposable utility craft though, since it needs no crew and can just be built by jumping out in your drone and hitting the flag button. It has its uses, and is the first thing I spawn in a new game, and still gets constantly reused until midgame.

That 482 m/s/s Brake Thrust is just insane! It really does stop on a dime. Having 120+ m/s/s thrust isn't shabby, either! And all with just 1 mechanic and no engineers? :o

I guess this "void technology" really is the cat's meow... at least until the dev updates in a way that changes how it works.

Anyway, really nice job with designing this. I can imagine a lot of uses for it. I'm particularly, interested in trying to copy-n-paste several of them as part of a big ship.

P.S.: You may want to mention the costs:

• 511 Iron
  • 1180 Credits

That 482 m/s/s Brake Thrust is just insane! It really does stop on a dime. Having 120+ m/s/s thrust isn't shabby, either! And all with just 1 mechanic and no engineers? :o

I guess this "void technology" really is the cat's meow... at least until the dev updates in a way that changes how it works.

Anyway, really nice job with designing this. I can imagine a lot of uses for it. I'm particularly, interested in trying to copy-n-paste several of them as part of a big ship.

P.S.: You may want to mention the costs:

• 511 Iron
  • 1180 Credits

Thanks for trying it out. I'm glad you're impressed. :)

I wrote down the cost on the upper left corner of the first screenshot. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I'll update my post.

This is the reason why I chose to optimize the ship to function without engineers:

SPBonOl.png

The red block is a 1x1x1 block of iron crew quarters, the size required for only 1 extra crew.

Also helps that the ship functions 100% and not the typical 70+ m/s max speed that most craft without an engineer can achieve.

:P

Ladies and Gentlemen...

After a grueling 12 hours and countless iterations, I give you the most space / block efficient iron-based engine module in the game.

The Mk. 7 Void Drive

At an extremely tiny 1X1X2 block size, and a spammable, server-friendly block count of 26, It is the perfect replacement for all your ships' propulsion systems.

Plug it into your ships now and experience the amazing Void Drive Technology, available only here at Scytales Laboratories.

i06GwZr.png

The Void Drive, like all our other designs, is a fully functioning ship too.

Mk7VoidDrive.xml

Hey just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to figure this out and most of all sharing it. It was frustrating to me st times that I had the really nice ship built but I didn't have enough room for enough engines to make it stop properly. Keep up the great work!!

Hey just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to figure this out and most of all sharing it. It was frustrating to me st times that I had the really nice ship built but I didn't have enough room for enough engines to make it stop properly. Keep up the great work!!

once again Thank you for your inguines ideas and ships

thnx thankx thx thank you <3

Ship looks fun and in-expensive, great job!

-cheers

Thank you for trying out our designs. We are happy to serve you as we pursue even more amazing things in the name of Science!

;D

Update: Added the Mk1 Titanium Void Generator

hvC00Ml.png

You just dont stop giving us awsomeness

that gen is the bomb *bows*

these are awesome

Thank you for your continued patronage. We are honored to be of service. The greatest reward we can ever hope for would be the inclusion of our modules into your amazing creations.

As ScyLabs is primarily focused on efficiency and optimization, we are sadly unable to conquer our own galaxy. As we get our modules included in your ships however, and as we explore and conquer with you, we make our mark on the universe. That, is more than enough for us. That means comments like these keep us going.

may i make a request ?

if so, can you guys/gals make a "void shield" ?  :D

Your request has been wired directly to our chief of operations, and if he can take his foot off the accelerator inside our experimental speed record attempt ship, I'm sure he'll come up with something.

Don't worry, we will deliver.

Hey, amazing quirky idea, but I don´t understand how this fits with the game engine. What kind of glitch is this that you can have more output than by the normally foreseem volume blocks? Will it cause problems if applied, say, 100times on a big ship?

I don't make large ships. At one point while I was designing some of these, the game started to lag over 130m/s/s thrust, but only for some designs. I made another one (titanium) that went 160m/s/s and it didn't lag at all. I don't fully understand the physics in the game engine, but I'm making up for it through testing. The immense amount of time spent designing these generally revolve around keeping block counts to as little as possible, and testing them. If a design is efficient, but lags the hell out of our rigs, it is never released.

Naturally, a game engine should render blocks regardless of where they're placed, and more recent iterations of our ship modules have been encapsulated inside single blocks. I don't know if that helps, but peeking inside tells me some of the blocks' textures aren't even rendered when clipped inside another block.

Because of my/our design philosophy, we have never truly tested out these modules in gigantic ships though and we honestly cannot guarantee that these will not affect the stability of the client, or the server.

may i make a request ?

if so, can you guys/gals make a "void shield" ?  :D

Tada! As per requested, 2 new modules have been added to the front page, a Naonite, and Trinium version of the Void Shield.

Holy gods of Avorion!

You guys/gals are the bomb, no really THE BEST !!!

Thank you thank you !!! 

no but in all seriousness, thank you <3

i love my small ships and all these modules you make really help me out :)

if there is anything i can do for you guys/gals and its within my powers to do so, its done !

Request:

These modules are all awesome. But would you consider creating a separate Engine module and Thruster module that is similar to The Mk. 7 Void Drive, but with reduced performance and costs?

The Mk. 7 is already cheap. But, I'm going to be designing some AI mining drones and I want them to be as cheap and disposable as possible. And while I want them to be fast, they don't need nearly that much performance. Also, I think I prefer engines and thrusters to be separate modules.

How would one go about producing similar structures?  I've barely ever been able to clip anything together even partially, and it bugs me that the AI gets hyper-clipped ships and I can only build a sprawling behemoth.  These things look awesome and I want to make my own versions designed for the larger shiptypes I use.

Oh boy !!

the void shields are labeled worng :P

the Trinium is the Neonite and the Neonite is the Trinium

Whoooooops. I guess somebody partied too much. That is my fault, I'm in charge of design uploads.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll be updating the .zip in a bit.

Request:

These modules are all awesome. But would you consider creating a separate Engine module and Thruster module that is similar to The Mk. 7 Void Drive, but with reduced performance and costs?

The Mk. 7 is already cheap. But, I'm going to be designing some AI mining drones and I want them to be as cheap and disposable as possible. And while I want them to be fast, they don't need nearly that much performance. Also, I think I prefer engines and thrusters to be separate modules.

We'll get right on that.

How would one go about producing similar structures?  I've barely ever been able to clip anything together even partially, and it bugs me that the AI gets hyper-clipped ships and I can only build a sprawling behemoth.  These things look awesome and I want to make my own versions designed for the larger shiptypes I use.

For thrusters, you can make a stack of wide plates. Stack like 10 or more. Select your stack, copy it to clipboard. Delete the stack, and ctrl+v, but resize your copied stack before you plug it into your ship. They should be paper thin, and for both directions its facing, front and back, left and right or up and down, it should perform like a series of large blocks. If done correctly, these will be lighter, cheaper and more efficient that standard thruster blocks, even those 0.05 wide.

Engines are trickier. You can partially clip a part of an engine into another if you use a series of other blocks as an anchor point.

The single blocks stacks we use are part of a lucky discovery, and we'd rather want to keep it a secret or it might get patched.  :'(

Request:

Well here's the first thing I came up with.

I haven't tested it out, since I'm not sure how powerful and how cheap you want these.

0.25x0.25x0.5 block

132.8 m/s/s

90 Max Velocity

16 block count

and costs... just 16 iron. doesn't even cost money.

Mk6BudgetVoidDrive.xml