Scytales Laboratories, Optimized Starter Ships and Ship Modules [.xml]

Scytales

How would one go about producing similar structures?

If you just want to scale a module up or down, you could try to scale it in-game. Just apply one of these modules and follow these instructions to scale a ship.

I seem to have had some success in scaling the Mk 7 Void Drive. But the stats may not scale exactly like one expects.

BTW: I find it handy to convert these modules or parts of my own ships into templates. This can be done through one of the two methods mentioned in the above link.

0.25x0.25x0.5 block

132.8 m/s/s

90 Max Velocity

16 block count

and costs... just 16 iron. doesn't even cost money.

Doesn't even cost money? Can't get much smaller or cheaper than that. It sounds about perfect if having multiple mining drones with 1 mining laser is the goal. Though, I just read this Mining bots topic that claims having multiple mining ships will usually lead to them attacking and destroying each other, especially if they don't have much hp.

I'm now thinking that I'm better off with one mining drone with two mining lasers to mine faster. But that would require a crew of 6. (That is, 1 captain, 1 mechanic, and 4 (2 x 2) miners.) Since crew quarters depend on size, I'll need something a bit bigger than that, unfortunately.

As I mentioned above, I had some success in scaling the Mk 7 Void Drive. And scaling it to 0.5 x 0.5 x 2 seems about right for adding enough crew quarters for +2 without hurting performance much. Bare bones, this scaled void drive costs $199 and 85 iron, which is still pretty cheap.

BTW: Would it be okay to share some Mk 7 Void Drive resizes and derivatives here? Aside from some resizes, I made separate Engines-only and Thrusters-only versions. (Interestingly, combining the separate Engines-only and Thrusters-only versions resulted in less than half the Brake Thrust of the original, but the rest of the stats were pretty close.)

Sure, you can drop and share any derivatives of any of the designs. Releasing these to the public means we no longer hold sole ownership of the designs.

Also, if you can keep your professional crew alive long enough, they do get better at their jobs. That might cut your crew requirements significantly.

Crew quarters are a pain. They're too large, too heavy, and ultimately bulk up any design if you opt for at least 1 extra crew. I'm not even going to mention cargo space, with its exponential growth rate per volume.

.xml editing to put all modules inside another block :P

of all the dirty rotten cheats! I LIKE IT!

Sure, you can drop and share any derivatives of any of the designs. Releasing these to the public means we no longer hold sole ownership of the designs.

Also, if you can keep your professional crew alive long enough, they do get better at their jobs. That might cut your crew requirements significantly.

Crew quarters are a pain. They're too large, too heavy, and ultimately bulk up any design if you opt for at least 1 extra crew. I'm not even going to mention cargo space, with its exponential growth rate per volume.

why don't you just put the crew quarters in there as well?

here I present my take on this:

The quantum inversion core!

Behold this Mirakle of Machinization!

a novel technology achived by folding space through 12 dimensions, allowing you to fit a whole warship with thruster, reactors, shields, integrity fields, supercomputers, crew quarters, a battery, and yes the new version even has a kitchen sink!

70D4E67F802B637A8A9411B36C229D1FECADC3A7

mirakleOFmachinzation.xml

Oke

I think iv nailed it now, my OCD isent triggering anymore xD

Here is the finale and best Version im making.

Credit go's to Scytales Laboratories for there Modules.

And a Big thanks to Hale's  "The evolution of the Cyclops II:  A full history."  for the base ship and inspiration.

My Cyclops 2XII

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3jGV7RqzupXTUd6bllRenlTWHc

This is SOOOO going to get patched. :P

this is too funny to patch, and it would break every AI ship ingame...

With the changes to Thrusters in the latest beta, Thrusters are now calculated by surface and volume. For ships that took advantage of Void tech Thrusters or thin sheets of thrusters, this change absolutely guts maneuverability and Brake Thrust by about 75 to 80%. (See This post in the Beta Branch Patchnotes 0.10.3.7509.)

As such, I think it's safe to say that Thrusters have been "patched" in terms of this void tech exploit. So, I recommend that future versions of the Void Drive be all engines, leaving out the Thrusters. There's no point to including Thrusters in them now, since that part is just going to suck energy without much benefit.

I used the Mk. 7 Void Drive in a ship I just finished building. Before, it was super fast and handled like a dream! Now, it handles like a drunken turtle.  :(

This also works great with batteries.  Using Ti a 1x1x1 form factor block adds about 25x as much energy storage capacity as a 1x1x1 regular Ti battery.  Anyone tried this with cargo space or crew quarters yet?

Thanks Scytales.  Good stuff.  ;D

• 1 month later...

Scytales and others...

sorry for noob question, I am trying to add these to an existing ship... I have the xml in "ships" folder, call it up - copy to clipboard, as you have suggested, but it will not show up when I close out the window.... Just goes back to the block before I opened the saved ships xml window.

Can you give a little more detail on what i need to do to add these glorious things to existing ships?

Thanks!

After hitting the "Copy to Clipboard" Button, you need to press CTRL+V to bring the plan up from the clipboard to your mousecursor, if you hover over a block now you should see your blueprint ready to place!