Turrets dealing no damage in sector, found possible cause

Steelcox

This will be bit wordy since several factors may have contributed to the problem, I want to clarify the preceding conditions.

I have a "home" sector near the core with a lot of founded stations and ships, as well as 2 dreadnaughts and a resistance outpost of an allied faction.

I have a ship with a captain set to "attack enemies" while I build, which has worked fine for several days. I noticed a lot of Xsotan had built up so I watched him attacking and saw his missiles doing no damage, as well as none of Xsotan, dreadnaughts or my own ships missing any shields.

I took my main ship over and got mostly the same result firing tons of lasers and missiles, except occasionally I would see a little burst of damage several seconds after i stopped firing, and nowhere near the amount I had actually put out.

I tried restarting my dedicated server, restarting my game, restarting my computer, none of which worked. I jumped sectors and damage worked fine, came back still 0 damage.

I then checked my mining ships, which for some reason had not been mining. They were all sitting together in the middle of nowhere next to some non-rich asteroids doing nothing. I tried reissuing the mining command but they didn't seem to want to mine plain rock. I then set them all to idle and went to test my damage again, which then worked fine, for both me and my ai ship.

Possible Steps to reproduce

Set multiple ships to "Mine" in a sector

Mine the last rich asteroid

Miner ai gets stuck causing server lag?

All turrets stop dealing damage

Unfortunately there's a whole lot of stuff going on in my sector with all my stations and ships, so maybe the stuck miners were just some kind of tipping point for server lag and this may not be so easy to reproduce. If this was the only thing that caused this problem it would be a pretty small and rare bug, but I have had this 0 turret damage problem before in hectic laggy zones, so this may just be one possible trigger for a deeper problem, but hopefully this helps narrow that down.

As a side note, are miners supposed to never mine plain rocks? Because honestly at the stage of the game I'm at that's kinda the only reason I got them lol. I'd love to eventually clear out all those floating death traps from my sector.

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo, ich hab möglichweise ein Lösung für euer Problem. Tauscht eure mine.lua mal mit dieser hier aus: http://nsite.de/public/mine.lua. Macht aber vorher ein Backup von eurer alten. Die mine.lua findet ihr im Verzeichnis Avorion\data\scripts\entity\ai

Das Problem ist glaube ich, dass das script, wenn keine abbaubaren Asteroiden mehr vorhanden sind, in JEDEM frame nach neuen sucht und dabei alle Asteroiden im Sektor überprüft. Ich habe das Script so modifiziert das es in dem Fall nur noch alle 60 Sekunden sucht. Ich hatte es erst so gemacht dass es die Suche ganz einstellt, aber ich weiß nicht ob Asteroiden respawnen.

____

Google translator:

Hello, I have possibly a solution for your problem. Exchange your mine.lua with this from here: http://nsite.de/public/mine.lua. But make a backup of your old one before. You can find the mine.lua in the directory Avorion\data\scripts\entity\ai

The problem is, I believe, the script, if no mineable asteroids are present, keeps searching fow new EVERY frame and everytime all asteroids in the sector checked. I have modified the script so that it searches in the case only every 60 seconds. First I had only made it so that the search stops completely, but I do not know whether asteroids respawn.