Retrograde velocity marker

Ranged

Suggestion

11 answers to this suggestion

Yes, this would be extremely useful. I hate having to try to figure out where to aim the nose of my ship to properly decelerate rapidly with a full engine burn. I usually end up aiming wrong and either not delerating much, or making it worse and overshooting.

So like a Kerbal Space Program style nav ball?  Or do you have something else in mind?

I've never played Kerbal Space Program. But I seem to recall seeing a velocity marker like the OP is talking about in other space sim games.

In other words, this true ship direction (which is independent of where the ship's nose is pointing) would be to engines as an Aiming Reticle would be to turrets. It shows the player exactly where to point for maximum effect.

...This is the Kerbal navball.  As you can see it's a little overkill on information.

That is overkill. I think we should keep this request simple so it might be seriously considered.

The only information that is truly needed to convey the true direction of the ship's movement is a simple marker. It could be in the form of a colored or blinking cross-hair in combination with a dotted line, or several ">" arrows or something pointing to the spot. Or maybe it would be some blinking lines or something on the side of the screen that we'd have to line up to find the true movement direction.

Though, to line up the ship to fire in reverse, we'd also need an indication of the exact opposite of the ship's true movement. That may require either two indicators or a key press to switch between forward movement and what is needed for reverse movement.

I want the the vector marker and also a key togglable option to use the main engine to slow down automatically the same way as rearward facing thrusters do.

Having an option to automatically use our ship's main engines to slow down definitely seems like cheating, especially if you don't expect the ship to have to do a 180 and face the opposite direction. Anyway, such an option would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a Brake Thrust stat and diminish the importance of good Thrusters.

If you think ships in Avorion are hard to steer and maneuver, then you must never have tried one of the Elite games.

I guess the Navkerball would be too much for this game, but a very simplistic HUD marker could do the trick. Like in the NavHud mod for the same game^^

And a forward velocity marker so one can better 'estimate' between grazing and crashing into something^.

I want the the vector marker and also a key togglable option to use the main engine to slow down automatically the same way as rearward facing thrusters do.

Having an option to automatically use our ship's main engines to slow down definitely seems like cheating, especially if you don't expect the ship to have to do a 180 and face the opposite direction. Anyway, such an option would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a Brake Thrust stat and diminish the importance of good Thrusters.

If you think ships in Avorion are hard to steer and maneuver, then you must never have tried one of the Elite games.

Of course you would have to do the 180 degree turn and than the engine would activate without you holding the button and possibly increasing nominal velocity or overfiring.

Don't know how to explain this, but I played a game which had these and they were super useful.

What these crosshairs do is, one is pointing the way the ship is going, and the other one is pointing the opposite. Real useful when you need to do a reverse burn.

Game already has something like this, but it's not so obvious (the speed bar at top turns yellow/orange if the ship is facing the opposite movement direction). Having something on the screen would be awesome.