Cloaking and Stealth

Shanobe

Suggestion

Captain: See look Jimmy there is a Klingon Battleship right there, but you can't see it because it is cloaked

Jimmy: But if we can't see it how do you know it is there?

Captain: Well it could be there, or there, or even over there, but we can detect its energy Jimmy so we know its here somewhere and we are screwed.

Jimmy: D:

latest?cb=20060928000236&path-prefix=en

Basically I think it would be sweet for there to be a cloaking/stealth block that renders your ship invisible and undetectable on a toggle button.

Also some kind of scanning module or thingy to detect cloaked ships.

Possible Drawbacks of using a cloak

1. Cannot have shield blocks on ship.

2. Drains or uses a % shields to activate cloak.

3. Drains or uses alot of energy to remain invisible.

4. Cannot shoot weapons or launch fighters while invisible.

5. You cannot see the cool ship you spent way too much time designing while cloak is active.

6. Your friends can no longer find you and you are no longer invited to hang.

7. You can now RP/Cosplay as your girlfriend T-T

Possible Advantages

1. Sneak through enemy territory safely

2. Surprise Enemies from behind...kinda...its hard to tell what is behind a ship.

3. Have a cool predator invisibility shimmer around your ship.

4. Create a faction of introvert hermits whose sole purpose is to remain hidden to all!!!

5. Freak out stations by phantom docking.

5 answers to this suggestion

I would actually like to Be able to shoot/launch while cloaked, at massive penalties like a temporary increase in "detectability" but still able to do so.

I've seen it in so many games where cloaks are a "that's nice" feature with no practical purpose because you can't cloak and shoot.

I imagine making cloaking useful is going to be difficult. The only use of a cloak, would be the aspect of surprise. So, you'd likely need something with insane burst damage that can only work close range, in order to make cloaks useful. Other wise you're at like, point blank range and all you did was drain system power and put your weapons on cooldown.