The Keyboard Control Mode Needs Some Love

Shieldmate

Suggestion

The mouse mode is good and all, but once you build a larger, longer ship it becomes impractical as you crash into stuff when you need to look at something that is not in front of you. The fact that default key for free look is "Ctrl" and you have to press it with your pinky doesn't help. It should be something you can use with your thumb, like the "Left Alt" that is currently taken by camera displacement that is not used very often and could be something like "K" or swapped for "Ctrl'. I can rebind that so not a big deal. But it is not desirable for your big ship to follow your mouse. Another reason to use the keyboard mode is that you can use a more creative gun placement that to stick everything in the front or as high as possible. Also it is very cool to see your guns firing from different places at the ship in my opinion. The keyboard mode just feels better for when controlling a big battleship. But the current keyboard mode is not up to the task at the moment. So here are some simple suggestions to improve it.

The guns should follow the center of the screen (by default) as they do in the mouse mode. Look at World of Warships. Something like that (let's be honest, they have good battleship controls).

Make strafing in the keyboard mode possible and bindable. I know that there is not much more buttons around the left hand but it would help immensely with docking and collision avoidance. Even if these buttons were unbound by default. If I could bind it now I would set it to my thumb mouse buttons

0 answers to this suggestion

There have been no answers to this suggestion yet