Balance: Repair vs. Build in space (make Iron needed all through the game)

GrimJahk

Suggestion

Make Shipyards Viable (and desired)...

Right now, with the ability to build ships in space, there is no real value to heading in to a Repair Depot or Shipyard...

What if: every STRUCTURE change that you conduct in space had an associated "Cost" in Iron for building (and consuming) scaffolding... basically making your own impromptu shipyard in space?

Repairs remain the same as they are now, but each block of construction costs you a fair amount of iron... say... 15% of the volume you are building... so, based on Volume...  Small ship.. small cost...  Big ship... big cost...

UNLESS you are within 3.0KM of a (neutral or better) shipyard ... even better... standing affects cost...  having a poor standing will save you 30% up to friendly saving 90%...

3 answers to this suggestion

Repairs are not so much the issue here... Repair costs are negligible currently..

I think of it like this... I get a flat tire on the road I can fix it... I get in a wreck ... sure I can do some body work at home... sure it cost me more and looks like crap... but do-able

We are currently building MASSIVE structures in space with no logistical support...

the equivalent of designing vehicles on the side of the road with no engineering cost... My suggestion is in place to add value to Iron and have faction standings mean something after your first 4 hours...  Iron would become a resource that allows that "build in space... where-ever" luxury we already enjoy too easily...

I already use iron for thrusters and cargo holds

titanium for hull and engines

naonite for internal systems

trinium for armour, fighters and hull

and xanion for warp cores

if I did it any other way I would never have enough material for my ship...

I have empty every system with a resource depot I pass through and i still never have enough resources, how are you having "excess iron"?