QoL: Hardpoints.

GrimJahk

Suggestion

Right now one of my biggest issues is managing the functionality of my ship.

I want to change out equipment and be functional... with minimal fuss...

We have a FANTASTIC method for changing out the modules but not turrets.. (which is kind of logistically backwards)

So... with that in mind... I propose:

Hard points!!!

...in the build menu you have the ability to install a "Turret Mount" that mount will me material based and carry over it's size limitation to the following screen:

Turret Management: Just as you can change out modules now you can change out turrets...

Modules will still control the number and type of functional turrets, but if you want to invest material into 5 passive and 5 armed "mounts" you can... then you just have to change a module to allow you to populate those mounts... OR you can have all of them populated but only functional based on your modules...

7 answers to this suggestion

"might be interesting" /sigh... I HATE having to spend minutes in the build screen every time my situation changes...

Salvage? Cool let me rebuild.

Mining? Cool, let me rebuild....

Combat!?!?! OK, I need to rebuild.....

Salvage again??? ... damn... gotta rebuild....

Combat again... /sigh "b" key again

This would be so much less painful if I had the ability to organize/sort turrets like my other suggestion.

I like that they scale with tech level... unless you suddenly want to scale the weapons (and their material cost)

The only real draw backs I see are:

1. This change would break all previous designs.  Not a good argument if a change is desperately needed.  But, there are other ways to go about addressing your problem.  Some may not require breaking the backwards compatibility.

2. Turrets become much easier to target and destroy.  Turrets can be placed on all sorts of stuff right now.  In fact it's really cool that they can be mounted at angles on slope blocks.  This also means turrets can and are generally placed on large armor blocks that keep them from being destroyed.  Dedicated turret blocks will be much easier to spot and in all likely hood much easier to destroy than armor plating.

That why it might be an interesting idea, but also might a huge pain in other ways.

The only real draw backs I see are:

1. This change would break all previous designs.  Not a good argument if a change is desperately needed.  But, there are other ways to go about addressing your problem.  Some may not require breaking the backwards compatibility.

2. Turrets become much easier to target and destroy.  Turrets can be placed on all sorts of stuff right now.  In fact it's really cool that they can be mounted at angles on slope blocks.  This also means turrets can and are generally placed on large armor blocks that keep them from being destroyed.  Dedicated turret blocks will be much easier to spot and in all likely hood much easier to destroy than armor plating.

That why it might be an interesting idea, but also might a huge pain in other ways.

Actually, this improves on and could easily be backwards compatible...  currently when you save a ship and reload it, the turrets poof and you have to place them again... (The ENTIRE reason I though up this solution) The hardpoint would place the exact same way a turret does now, including material restrictions...  so after the update, any turret currently placed would be replaced with a hardpoint of the same material.

Current management of turrets is one of my personal biggest issues around this game.

I spent over 2 years multi-boxing in EVE... I love Avorion... I am in no way complaining, I am fully invested in helping when and where I can... This is just one of those areas that would benefit the most from some polish

Saw this in another thread talking about the System Upgrade Meta

I'm aware of this, and the solution will be to add more unique specialties to the system upgrades, just like you said. We've started doing this with the shield booster upgrade, which will quickly recharge your shields once they're depleted. Upgrades are also meant to be used as a quick respec, if you don't want to alter your ship structure all the time.

<snip>

This is the core of what I am after here with my hard-point idea. By installing hard points and then using the upgrade modules to actually control them. You can, in essence, build as many hard points as you want on your ship... you just can't populate them with turrets unless you have the module installed to control it.