Reputation loss from fender benders.

Terradoss

Sooooooo,

I recently upgraded to a substantially larger ship and whilst going through the teething problems of learning to fly the new shape and how to manouver a ship this large (its really, really big) close enough to a station to dock, i shifted my camera a tiny bit too far and bumped the station.

Literally, bumped the station, traveling at zero speed with very minor rotational momentum only.

BOOM instantly lost 200,000 reputation with the faction who owned the station. I went from maximum possible positive reputation to the absolute WORST possible reputation instantly. As a result of  the intergalactic equivalent of a fender bender.

I get that crashing is not cool and that people don't like it, but this level of response strikes me as ever so slightly unreasonable =x

In lieu of this actually being fixed in the short term, (early access etc), does anybody know of a way to manipulate faction reputation through the console or game files? I spent a pretty solid amount of time working that reputation up to maximum and the faction has a significant number of factories and other facilities that I use quite frequently.

I figured I'd check to see if anyone had discovered the means to do this before i consider whether to regrind 200k rep (kill me now plz) or ragequit (for a while) :P

Thanks!

Station was perfectly intact! As was my ship.

Obviously there was a damage calculation performed that the game decided was drastic and justified a 200,000 reputation loss.

It just seemed somewhat (massively) disproportionate to the nature of the actual impact was all =/

I'm not averse to the concept of some minor penalties for accidents, but the scale of such penalties needs to be appropriate.

There are a number of words I could use to describe the penalty that was imposed on me for my accident. "Appropriate" is not one of them! :P

I've effectively had to abandon this part of space for now, since there's no particularly efficient means of rep grinding that I've found to raise reputation from its ultimate nadir :(

Sounds like it mainly had to do with how big your ship was. I mean, even a tiny ship will knock off a few hundred points. So perhaps the code scales partially with size? Or maybe it's that stations are very sensitive to damage, or resistant to it. So you did a what it considers a large amount of damage and reacted in turn. Still agree that it sucks tho. About how big was your ship? How many slots? You got me curious ^^

As to your question, sadly im not sure how it would be done. I've never cracked open the XML files and taken a look myself. I'm guessing it would be as simple as opening up your galaxy file, searching for your faction, and editing the rep. I could be wrong tho.

Sounds like it mainly had to do with how big your ship was. I mean, even a tiny ship will knock off a few hundred points. So perhaps the code scales partially with size? Or maybe it's that stations are very sensitive to damage, or resistant to it. So you did a what it considers a large amount of damage and reacted in turn. Still agree that it sucks tho. About how big was your ship? How many slots? You got me curious ^^

As to your question, sadly im not sure how it would be done. I've never cracked open the XML files and taken a look myself. I'm guessing it would be as simple as opening up your galaxy file, searching for your faction, and editing the rep. I could be wrong tho.

I think you're right. Large ships seem to inflict more damage from bumps. One one hand it....sort of makes sense from a logical perspective, but we really cant be punishing capital ship captains with instant immutable abhorrence for a love tap (even from a big ship!)

My ship? Is big, but I didn't feel like it was "planet dwarfingly large" or anything. It's a 13 slot ship. About six and a half million tonnes. just over 100mil worth of volume.

Evidently large enough to cause space station insurance companies to go into panic mode when i request permission to dock ><

I almost feel like larger ships should have more leeway when it comes to docking space. Should be able to do it from further away or something.

All of my ship upgrades have been increases in size and mass, but this one is the first that seems to have reached a point where it is giving me noticeably more trouble when it comes to manouvering to dock.

[

My ship? Is big, but I didn't feel like it was "planet dwarfingly large" or anything. It's a 13 slot ship. About six and a half million tonnes. just over 100mil worth of volume.

Dang! My largest ship is only a 6 slot lol.

Yeah, I can agree, people shouldn't be discouraged from building and flying massive capital ships. And immediate influence loss at the slightest mishap is a pretty big disincentive. Still, at least a ship that big could probably take them out like they're flies, when they turn against you ^^

Reputation loss is relative to damage dealt from my observations, so for every point of damage you loose 1 rep, so you must have done at least 200,000 damage.

Yup, noticed something similar - I accidentaly fired my 220dmg canon on station - lost 220 reputation with faction.

I mean.. how stupid is that?! When I fly bigger ships, I soon won´t have friends anywhere :D

I was in a salvaging sector and there was an AI just parked in the wreckage doing nothing. I went to salvage it, it exploded into a million pieces and I immediately lost 100K faction. They were not happy.

I also can't gain faction with them because the way that faction from combat is bugged for this faction in my game.

I was in a salvaging sector and there was an AI just parked in the wreckage doing nothing. I went to salvage it, it exploded into a million pieces and I immediately lost 100K faction. They were not happy.

I also can't gain faction with them because the way that faction from combat is bugged for this faction in my game.

Yeah, I feel like the reputation interactions are something that needs some tweaking. I'm certainly not all that thrilled with it at the moment, but I also think that it can probably be fixed pretty much entirely when it receives some attention.

That said, I do comprehend that there are probably more pressing priorities at present.