Bumped into a pirate a little and got destroyed?

thedamnatus

So I'm going back to the starting sector after the suspicious goods delivery (where you don't get paid), I notice three pirate ships so I think hey, why not. Halfway into the fight I bump into one of the ships a little and bam, I am completely destroyed. Is this even normal? My ship had lots of iron armor and a sizable titanium integrity field generator as well. This is the first time I died to pirates, lost my best turret as well.

Dont lose hope, get back to the sector you have died in, and your turrets and modules will be flying there!  I have once lost my best ship when cargo hauler jumped right in front of me in 2000m/s... When I jumped back in the same sector, I found wreck of my ship and few km away from the wreck were all my modules :)

I do not think it is a bug, unless u did not have much speed.  Sometimes i just ram the stick ships (hard to shoot) and if i got good speed they will die in one hit. To do this you need large ramming block and be made of better material than what the pirate ship is made of, then it is easy do ram someone to death.

structural integrity field will let blocks take 10x(or close to) the normal amount of damage needed to destroy them. colliding in a way that will destroy a block which can technically take more damage than your entire ships hp pool will cause your ship to die from the collision.

as an aside though. it seems that if your ship has the higher mass/volume the crash will do more damage to the target than you.