Hello everyone!

Sting_Auer

Hello everybody! I heard about this game on the Bay12 (Dwarf Fortress) forums, and thought I'd give it a try. I am totally digging it, and will probably begin hosting a public server for it.

The only major problem I've had so far is the difficulty of getting part blueprints, but I'll go into more detail on that in a suggestions thread ;).

I am loving the ability for custom ships and the combat mechanic. While the following statement may be a bit surprising, I see this game being able to overtake EvE Online if its taken up as more than a hobby (wink wink), and will be making various suggestions and will try to spread the word of the game.

EDIT: Yeesh, tone down the captcha or get rid of it altogether, it's ridiculously difficult to tell what it says, and the audio recording isn't that good either.

• Boxelware Team

Hello everybody! I heard about this game on the Bay12 (Dwarf Fortress) forums, and thought I'd give it a try. I am totally digging it, and will probably begin hosting a public server for it.

The only major problem I've had so far is the difficulty of getting part blueprints, but I'll go into more detail on that in a suggestions thread ;).

Great to hear you like it! A public server would be cool, as I don't have the resources to create one.

If I may just tell you one thing: The servers are not yet grief-secure, but I'm working on that.

I am loving the ability for custom ships and the combat mechanic. While the following statement may be a bit surprising, I see this game being able to overtake EvE Online if its taken up as more than a hobby (wink wink), and will be making various suggestions and will try to spread the word of the game.

Wow, I'm really not sure if the game can take a behemoth like EvE, for starters I'm happy as soon as I get a stable working version. :)

EDIT: Yeesh, tone down the captcha or get rid of it altogether, it's ridiculously difficult to tell what it says, and the audio recording isn't that good either.

I will. Problem right now is, that I have approx. 100 spam bots registered, just waiting for their opportunity to post links into the forum. I must get rid of them first.

Wow, I'm really not sure if the game can take a behemoth like EvE, for starters I'm happy as soon as I get a stable working version. :)

I'm serious man, if this got some good server support and faction tools (basically stuff that's already planned) it could overtake EvE.

just needs some large servers and a means to monetarily support them.

• Boxelware Team

Hey I'm flattered here ;)

But I guess I have to disappoint you, because the softwares of my game and EvE use completely different approaches.

The big difference is, that eve runs on multiple computers at the same time - connected by a high speed network.

Say every computer in the EvE server farm is made to compute 20 sectors.

Now the difference is that their server programs are made to run on multiple computers, mine is made to run on one computer.

This has the big advantage that everybody can start up an avorion server on their own - which is, by the way, a much more realistic way to hobby-develop a multiplayer game ;)

But it has the great disadvantage that the servers can not take a huge load of players. I'd say my servers are able to support 100 - 200 players, absolute maximum.

So, assuming that I might one day have the same amount of players, they would never be able to play in the same galaxy, or world, or server.

EDIT: Oh, I'm speaking of 100 - 200 players logged in at the same time. Registered players could be, I dont know, way more I guess.

Hey I'm flattered here ;)

But I guess I have to disappoint you, because the softwares of my game and EvE use completely different approaches.

The big difference is, that eve runs on multiple computers at the same time - connected by a high speed network.

Say every computer in the EvE server farm is made to compute 20 sectors.

Now the difference is that their server programs are made to run on multiple computers, mine is made to run on one computer.

This has the big advantage that everybody can start up an avorion server on their own - which is, by the way, a much more realistic way to hobby-develop a multiplayer game ;)

But it has the great disadvantage that the servers can not take a huge load of players. I'd say my servers are able to support 100 - 200 players, absolute maximum.

So, assuming that I might one day have the same amount of players, they would never be able to play in the same galaxy, or world, or server.

EDIT: Oh, I'm speaking of 100 - 200 players logged in at the same time. Registered players could be, I dont know, way more I guess.

Oh, I know full well about sharded worlds and multi-machine servers and such. I was implying that you should go the route of being able to host different sectors of the galaxy as different servers, for example.

Idea: Still ahve the player-hosted servers, but give us the ability for a sharded galaxy, a la EvE Online, so that players with more computers to spare can host larger servers. I can see large groups of players collaborating with each other to host servers of several hundred players.

• Boxelware Team

The overall structure of the game would make it possible, definitely.

But it would mean rewriting about 80% of the server. So this is not going to be one of the next features ;)

And as long as I don't want to write 2 almost completely different servers (apart from the game logic obviously) it would also mean quite an overhead for the simple player hostable version.

Side note: My bachelor thesis is exactly this. A backend for an MMO that runs on a cluster, I know the implications.