Can I buy the game somewhere else other than Steam?

whitehorn

I realize there will be some kind of Steam key involved, and I do like the community on Steam. I just want to buy it elsewhere. I searched on GOG, GamersGate, Green Men, Humble Bundle, and Kinguin (found it on Kinguin). I don't know anything about Kinguin, though. Is that legit?

As far as I know, Steam is the only official place to buy the game from right now.

It is very likely that every other site which claims to sell it only resells the keys. There is always a possibility that those keys were bought with stolen credit card details, etc. It is absolutely possible that redeemed keys from those sites get revoked.

Please buy the game on Steam for now.

Correct, Canute! I don't want to buy from a reseller nor from Steam. The only thing Steam is good for is the community, but if there are mods, then I can apply them myself manually. I am not opposed to receiving a Steam key, I just don't want to support the platform anymore.

It would be great if there was a place to buy the game that is not Steam. Gamersgate is second in my book only to just straight up PayPal. Steam is getting too big for its britches, IMO.

"I don't want to buy from Steam but I don't have a valid reason why, trust me I'm not being shady or am gonna resell your product for my profit" that's what I heard from this post.

I don't like steam much either the entire ideal that I can loos a mass collection of games because of an arbitrary ban or how they over and over say in the user agreement that you DON'T own the game your just buying the rights to play it and they have the right to take that away for any infraction. Frankly really rubs me the wrong way!

And having suffered a  ban on an online game without warning just for using SweetFX\ReShade I have become gun shy I buy all my games from GOG when I can.

I have spoken to many others on the forums there that are the same as well and  some WILL NOT buy from steam ever.

It would be wise for this game to get on GOG and other outlets as soon as possible.

"I don't want to buy from Steam but I don't have a valid reason why, trust me I'm not being shady or am gonna resell your product for my profit" that's what I heard from this post.

I don't like steam much either the entire ideal that I can loos a mass collection of games because of an arbitrary ban or how they over and over say in the user agreement that you DON'T own the game your just buying the rights to play it and they have the right to take that away for any infraction. Frankly really rubs me the wrong way!

And having suffered a  ban on an online game without warning just for using SweetFX\ReShade I have become gun shy I buy all my games from GOG when I can.

I have spoken to many others on the forums there that are the same as well and  some WILL NOT buy from steam ever.

It would be wise for this game to get on GOG and other outlets as soon as possible.

Well said!

I can see why you would be intimidated by steam's terms but really they are there just to cover legal bases. As shady as it SOUNDS reading it, their intentions are whole. There are shadier people/lawyers out there that love to screw businesses over that have not covered their bases -- speaking from experience.

Either way digital licensing is the future, there will be a time where owning a physical copy of a game is rare.

Steam doesn't ban you from playing games you have rights to or own.

It cannot say "you cannot play this game online" unless you actively cheat or use third party wares that are not permitted by whatever game you are playing.

If you don't break the rules and cheat, then there's nothing to worry about, OP.

It cannot say "you cannot play this game online" unless you actively cheat or use third party wares that are not permitted by whatever game you are playing.

If you don't break the rules and cheat, then there's nothing to worry about, OP.

HAHA! you have no clue

This is just one example of steam actively screwing over it players. And I have heard of many cases of players loosing entire collections of games for extremely BS reasons.

Steam is not a saint system most want to see it as. The truth is it has gotten complacent and lazy throwing it weight around instead of actually fixing problems and any one who studies history knows things only go down hill from here.

HAHA! you have no clue

This is just one example of steam actively screwing over it players. And I have heard of many cases of players loosing entire collections of games for extremely BS reasons.

Steam is not a saint system most want to see it as. The truth is it has gotten complacent and lazy throwing it weight around instead of actually fixing problems and any one who studies history knows things only go down hill from here.

Could you explain how this applies because I just read through the entire thing and I feel like it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

No one in that thread is complaining about being locked out of their libraries. No one is talking about being banned from steam itself. From's aggressive anti cheat banned some innocent players from DS and no fault lies on steam. In fact it sheds a good light on steam because at least the players that only had a few hours on could get a refund where that would be normally next to impossible.

HAHA! you have no clue

You're right, I've got no clue. However I do have a point of which you do not.

HAHA! you have no clue

Could you explain how this applies because I just read through the entire thing and I feel like it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

No one in that thread is complaining about being locked out of their libraries. No one is talking about being banned from steam itself. From's aggressive anti cheat banned some innocent players from DS and no fault lies on steam. In fact it sheds a good light on steam because at least the players that only had a few hours on could get a refund where that would be normally next to impossible.

It was steam's auto band system and they let From and Namco take the fall. Witch was revealed almost 4 weeks after and when the publishers finally told the players this they were forced into retracting their statement only a day and a half latter. On top of that steam never apologized.

As for examples here

http://www.geek.com/games/steam-proves-we-dont-own-the-games-we-buy-1464093/

and here

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/my-steam-account-was-banned-for-no-reason-26365424/

If you follow this guys case its insane

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/banned-from-steam.848695/

This guy had to get a lawyer to get unband

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/596869-bannedsuspended-basically-ban-for-22-years-from-the-steam-community/

There is many cases but most of them get covered up or the poor saps just role over.

My main point is when you buy a game and the people you buy it from go out of their way to say you DON'T OWN it and on multiple cases prove they mean it, there is something diabolically wrong with them.

It was steam's auto band system and they let From and Namco take the fall. Witch was revealed almost 4 weeks after and when the publishers finally told the players this they were forced into retracting their statement only a day and a half latter. On top of that steam never apologized.

As for examples here

http://www.geek.com/games/steam-proves-we-dont-own-the-games-we-buy-1464093/

and here

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/my-steam-account-was-banned-for-no-reason-26365424/

If you follow this guys case its insane

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/banned-from-steam.848695/

This guy had to get a lawyer to get unband

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/596869-bannedsuspended-basically-ban-for-22-years-from-the-steam-community/

There is many cases but most of them get covered up or the poor saps just role over.

My main point is when you buy a game and the people you buy it from go out of their way to say you DON'T OWN it and on multiple cases prove

they mean it, there is something diabolically wrong with them.

Steam didn't have to apologize. I remember this all going down although didn't get too invested into it because it didn't apply to me. And after doing further research I can find no connection to steam at all. Where did you find this information, I would love to know the source. This was all on FROM. DS3 doesn't have anything to do with Steams own VAC. I'm not calling you a liar I just would like a source because something does not add up here.

As for the other examples there is gems like

"The only rule he broke was gifting games for cash, but Steam didn’t know he was doing that and confirmed to him that wasn’t the reason for the ban." - He was pushing the boundries anyways. Just because they didn't communicate the reason for the ban doesn't mean they had no reason. I don't feel bad for the guy at all. He was already breaking rules, what else was he up to?

The second one is just a VAC ban. He can still use his account to purchase games and play games with the side effect of not being able to to play online on that account with steams "gold" titles (tf2, CS, HL). Chances are he was up to no good.

The third one is a steam community ban. He was just banned for talking about a topic you a arnt supposed to talk about. All he is banned from is posting in the steam forums for that particular game. NBD. This one is exhaustingly talked about in the rules (whether you support it or not).

Only one of these cases a steam library was taken away. And he admitted he was up to no good just that steam wouldn't tell him why in particular he was banned.

I feel like you are grasping at straws to make a point. I do acknowledge that steam bans happen and you could lose all your games. But these do no good to enforce your point... almost seems like fear mongering.

"The only rule he broke was gifting games for cash, but Steam didn’t know he was doing that and confirmed to him that wasn’t the reason for the ban." - He was pushing the boundries anyways. Just because they didn't communicate the reason for the ban doesn't mean they had no reason. I don't feel bad for the guy at all. He was already breaking rules, what else was he up to?

The second one is just a VAC ban. He can still use his account to purchase games and play games with the side effect of not being able to to play online on that account with steams "gold" titles (tf2, CS, HL). Chances are he was up to no good.

The third one is a steam community ban. He was just banned for talking about a topic you a arnt supposed to talk about. All he is banned from is posting in the steam forums for that particular game. NBD. This one is exhaustingly talked about in the rules (whether you support it or not).

Only one of these cases a steam library was taken away. And he admitted he was up to no good just that steam wouldn't tell him why in particular he was banned.

I feel like you are grasping at straws to make a point. I do acknowledge that steam bans happen and you could lose all your games. But these do no good to enforce your point... almost seems like fear mongering.

I could spend all day drudging up pieces for my argument however at this point I can tell your mind will not change.

So all I can say is this is how I fell, I DISLIKE steam, I am not comfortable giving them my money. I may be wrong and misguided in my feelings but it is how I see things.  Tho I am not the only one who sees it this way.

And I only came to the OP assistance because some one attacked him for not liking steam and accused him of being EVIL just because he din't.

This is also what is wrong with the world as a whole right now. If any one disagree with some one else they instantly accuses them of being nefarious, evil, fear mongering, or racist. Its used none stop to silence every ones opinion but your own.

Oh please it takes two to argue, don't you see we are in this together  :P. Don't go playing victim on me now!

I have no issues with your opinions. I only got triggered when you were saying we had no ideas then provided "examples" you dug up with your google fu and im not even sure you read them at this point.

Yes it is a service, and if you dont play by the rules they set forth then yes you might be at risk. If you just use their service as it is provided and nothing else the only thing you might have to worry about is the longevity of the platform.

I am sorry that I got that wrong.

Can't tell you more than that it's only on Steam right now :)

If would be quite use full information, there is a lot of players out there that doesn't like Steam. This is specially true for this genre of game if you look at statistics.

But the real question is where can one find answers?