[Mod] Compass-like Gate Pixel Icons

lyravega

Compass-like Gate Pixel Icons - v0.008

Compass-like gate icons. Aimed to help you by saving time - instead of targeting gates one by one, you can just check their icons to see the direction they are going. Some users of the mod have stated that this is required only on the clients, for your information.

LSyzGOT.png5Q49RN5.pngmqJ3ibs.pngM4eg2zd.png

SccrfOs.jpg

[spoiler=Change Log]v0.008

-Disabled the Not Ready gate icons as the vanilla bug still persists. They'll return later, when the vanilla bug is fixed

-Made the icons rounder

v0.007

-Updated for 0.15.x

v0.004 & 0.005

-Updated for 0.12.x

-Fixed German localization

v0.003

-Added a "Not Ready" icon (after ramming my ship to a gate that wasn't ready and getting destroyed in the process, I thought this can be useful)

v0.002

-Works with German localization

[spoiler=Known Issues]For some reason, some gates may report "Not Ready" with a crossed icon. However, I checked if this is happening without the mod, and still some gates report "Not Ready". I believe it is a bug in the vanilla (related to function callbacks), but it is more obvious with this mod since this mod gives a crossed icon to the gates that are "Not Ready". Also, even though these gates look like "Not Ready", they are actually usable. Just approach with caution in case it really is a "Not Ready" one. Hopefully it'll be fixed by the devs. For now, Not Ready icons are disabled

Compass-like_Gate_Pixel_Icons_0.008.zip

Nice, I was using the sector overview mod for this but since you can see them most of the time this will save even more effort :D

That mod is awesome :) but sometimes I'm too lazy to click heheh

By the way, are icons clear enough? I hope so.

Also, anyone with German localization, I added support for German, tested it for a while, everything seems to be in order now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, still loving your mod and our players do too :)

One thing that came up to me was that in one of the recent patches the gate generation was changed so that they shouldn't spawn gates anymore going through the core barrier, could it be that your gate.lua is interfering with that?

I have tried comparing your gate.lua against a vanilla file from the current beta branch but the layout was a bit messed up and I don't understand enough from lua to see if anything crucial was changed so perhaps you can look into that?

Hey, still loving your mod and our players do too :)

One thing that came up to me was that in one of the recent patches the gate generation was changed so that they shouldn't spawn gates anymore going through the core barrier, could it be that your gate.lua is interfering with that?

I have tried comparing your gate.lua against a vanilla file from the current beta branch but the layout was a bit messed up and I don't understand enough from lua to see if anything crucial was changed so perhaps you can look into that?

This gate.lua handles naming and stuff, generation is handled by sectorgenerator.lua with the help of a few other files such as passagemap.lua. Don't take my word on this but I'm inclined to think that this change isn't retroactive. However occurence of having such gates should be very, VERY rare with the normal version (as it only leaves a handful of possible spots if my math is right, but would love to see a screenshot of it) and it shouldn't happen with the beta anymore.

Also, a small hint: when comparing files, make sure you ignore the whitespace. I use tabs instead of spaces, and some compare tools go nuts over this.

Yeah I noticed the freaking out about too many spaces, took a while tho!

I don't know what I've done wrong but I have wiped the server after the patch and gates are still being generated, the odd thing is that the gates we've found all were 1 sector outside the barrier.

Yeah I noticed the freaking out about too many spaces, took a while tho!

I don't know what I've done wrong but I have wiped the server after the patch and gates are still being generated, the odd thing is that the gates we've found all were 1 sector outside the barrier.

Still happening in beta? Can I get a screenshot for it? I'm assuming they happen at a "corner square"?

Below is a code piece from passagemap.lua, line 157

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMax + 1

Before the BlockRingMin was taken into action. BlockRingMin is 147, BlockRingMax is 150. Before a system at the edge of the inner ring could be considered outside even though it is visually inside. With this change above in the beta, another but a similar problem may occur; a system at the edge of the outer ring could be considered inside. Both can result in the same problem - a gate may lead from outside to inside visually, but as far as the game goes, it's well within rules.

Basically the generation rules say that there can be no wormholes/gates from outside to inside, only from outside to outside or inside to inside, but you cannot have a perfect circle with pixels - this is the real thing that is causing the problem.

That +1 is more or less for error correction, but I think instead of BlockRingMax+1, BlockRingMax-1 would solve this issue. In short what I'm saying is, change the +1 in the code above to -1, or even -1.5 as it'd be the average. Anything between 147 and 150. Let me know if this helps (I cannot play Avorion due to HDD failure, so I can only guess at this point  :()

Examples (all are the same, last one is more flexible)

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMin + 1.5

or

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMax - 1.5

or

local max = (Balancing.BlockRingMax + Balancing.BlockRingMin)/2

• 3 months later...

v0.004

-Updated for 0.12+ (download the other attachment that says "0.12+" if you are on that version)

If you encounter any problems with either of my mods (this or Detailed Turret Tooltips), contact me directly on Steam (hint: my steam profile link is below my avatar)

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe that's funny.  That's fix is exactly what I did to fix your mod a week or so ago.  Nice to see were both thinking alike.

My old trick didn't work. Even if it worked, I realized I didn't include it at the first place. This is easier :P

• 3 months later...