Highlight Upgrades/Weapons and Increase Thruster Force

Rightclan

Suggestion

During gameplay there were a few situations which caused guns to be taken off my ship, and having an ability to highlight or favorite items would make it so they show up easily among the many. This is an idea for later UI convenience. One of those smaller details that is simple but makes people happy with the game because it saves them time and frustration.

Instances where this would help:

-Swapping ship upgrades between hyperdrive and turret upgrades when wanting to warp longer distances and then needing to prepare for a pirate attack immediately. A sector would have incoming enemy pirates, the turrets I normally use were taken off and stored in inventory due to insufficient turret space from using hyperdrive upgrade. This would leave my ship vulnerable with much fewer weapons while I look for the turrets I normally use.

-Game bug where my turrets would get removed when I repair my ship and have to place them back on. Since they aren't highlighted or favorited, it would take me longer because I was sorting through inventory over again.

-Deciding which turrets or item upgrades I am favoriting and keeping, and which ones I am going to sell.

I also think thrusters need to be tweaked/buffed with higher power without increasing energy cost. Currently when I put collision on, the small lag spikes while flying around have been enough to cause massive damage to ships I've had when lag-warping into an asteroid. Especially in public games, there's been consistent small lag spikes that cause a ship to warp ahead and often collide with an asteroid when flying even at slower speeds. I think this game is far better optimized for large scale ship battles than many other space games. At the same time, the weakness of thrusters in stabilizing and slowing movement has made them seem almost not worth using. On a larger ship, having giant thrusters on the front has made very little difference. So far in almost all cases I have to manually reverse and counter my momentum using engines. Long term the whole thruster system doesn't seem to do enough for the energy cost and flying a ship feels clunky instead of more smooth. Increasing thrust power to about 3 times what it is now would be more fitting for a good gameplay experience. I was one of the original game testers for the Wii before it came out and have done a lot of game testing over many years. If it helps at all to know that I have experience to give good feedback.

I think the goal on thrusters in games is stabilizing a player so they aren't flying out of control. In real life it happens from a lack of proper thrusters. Such as an astronaut only having thrust from the back, if any. Instead of from all directions which would allow stabilization. When playing Avorion I felt very much flying out of control even though I had added thrusters to all directions. After awhile, the game mechanic of turning in an opposite direction and using max thrust to do a rapid slowdown became an unhappy replacement for thrusters which don't do enough.

Anyway besides these things I have enjoyed a lot about the game. I think the thruster improvements would be one of the biggest things I want to see changed though. Keep up the good work! And thanks!

2 answers to this suggestion

The topics of your suggestions come up a lot.

Part 1 is very often suggested and surely recognized by a dev, although I dont have a source right now.

Part 2: Thrusters are being actively reworked at the moment and there is at least one big thread already discussing thrusters you might want to read. But keep in mind that things might change soon.

I myself have suggested the ability to favorite turrets in the past.  In that topic some else also suggested that it would be nice to be able to tag turrets and systems as "trash" things you are definitely going to get rid of.  Another way to approach the same issue which that has been suggested multiple times, is a system where turrets and system cards can be sorted into different folders.  For example, unsorted, keep, sell, and research.

Here's my topic:

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1067.msg4815.html#msg4815

Here's one from last year that thedamngod even posted in suggesting the ability to favorite:

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,470.msg2712.html#msg2712

Here are a bunch of others:

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1386.msg6578.html#msg6578

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1546.msg7273.html#msg7273