Move galaxies and ships files to my docs/my games.

Salminar

Suggestion

Hi,

I'm asking here, cause it's really a request, to move the game save files to my docs and stop putting them in app data/roaming.

First it's not the place of such files, when you need to make a backup, having save games in a system hidden directory is always a bad idea.

Secondly i have a SDD for my system and avorion is saturating it for nothing here and will end up as i won't be able to play anymore cause of disk saturation. And i don't think i will be alone in this situation in a close futur.

I'll add a point on screenshots that are made twice on windows at least, once they are stored in the steam files and a second time in roaming, again.

Thank you for reading.

4 answers to this suggestion

I tend to agree. Galaxy files get crazy big for some reason and it is weird that all the save files would be in a hidden directory, though other games do that, too.

Side note: SSDs are getting cheaper for larger amounts of storage though, you may want to consider buying an SSD with more storage if avorion is filling it.

• Boxelware Team

The reason for Avorion saving everything the way it is, is that is considered "good coding practice" to do so. Well, we all can see it seems not to be the best way for Avorion. The devs are working on a better way for this.

You are confusing me a bit here.

Is it a good coding practice to put saves in roaming? Is it microsoft that is asking for this? I hope not. I thought those directory was created to prevent applications like photoshop to saturate the windows registry like they were doing in the past.

To me roaming and "app data" in general is meant to have configuration files stored in, like key binding.

On the other hand you have a special directory created by the system for savegames purpose :"My games". And this way you don't loose you savegames when you are installing your system again, as app data is trashed when it happens, and not my docs.

It looks more like a linux way to do, and it's just fine on this OS, but on windows it won't just work.

If I remember correctly, it is a result of the history of the Windows operating system.

Before Vista(?) there was no My Games folder and thus a lot of games, especially AAA ones, have been polluting the My Documents folder. In general, they all do whatever they want and don't care about specifications.

But, it does appear that Appdata is the place specified by Microsoft to store data.

Per the .Net documentation:

UserProfile

The user's profile folder. Applications should not create files or folders at this level; they should put their data under the locations referred to by ApplicationData.

Source

Another discussion on this topic: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1507923/does-microsoft-have-a-best-practices-document-regarding-the-storage-of-app-data