Shields: kinetic and energy variations

LeonserGT

Suggestion

Initial idea for kinetic shields is to give protection from damn collisions!

Current shields can be re-done slightly, renamed into "energy shields" and protect only from following:

- plasma;

- laser;

- tesla;

- lighting;

- 50% of railgun damage?

Add new type of shields - "kinetic shields" which can protect from following:

- collisions (!);

- chaingun bullets;

- bolter bullets;

- missiles;

- cannon charges;

- another 50% of railgun damage?

Both types will have it's own HP bars, combined will give 100% protection from railguns (so it will be like now - damage shields first, then hull). Railgun part is questionable, tho.

Perhaps replace naonite shield block with kinetic shields (so that type will be available from naonite), while "energy shields" will be available only from trinium? Tiering there is also questionable, anyway, main idea is legit way to protect yourself from stupid collision deaths without disabling collision damage - it's too silly and boring without it, but too dangerous with it :P

Especially when server lags could be a reason for those collisions...

2 answers to this suggestion

Reminds me very much of Sword of the Stars 1 and 2, which had several different modular ship command sections that could add energy shields, kinetic, and generic shields. I don't remember getting much use out of them in that game though because you had to sacrifice firepower to only be useful against one type of damage. I think it could work for this game, but maybe dividing up shields would be punishing for people that use energy and kinetic weapons together.