Resizeable galaxy?

Yeedo

Suggestion

I think it would be nice to be able to scale up and down the size of the galaxy. This would be a slider/text input shown when creating a new galaxy, allowing you to change the width of the galaxy in sectors. Things like the sectors Boss Swoks can spawn in, or where Naonite can be found, along with the diameter of the core, would scale in proportion to the size of the galaxy.

Potentially we could also have a slider for the average number of sectors controlled by a faction (and maybe one for standard deviation). This would allow you to have just a handful of giant empires, or countless tiny, independent states.

I say this because the current size of the galaxy (1000x1000 IIRC) is a little large for my liking (I think 250x250 would be quite nice), but if there were servers with huge numbers of players they may want an even bigger galaxy so the core isn't stripped clean. I'd also prefer to have ~20-50 factions in total so I can learn their names and so that it matters who you ally with and who you declare war on, although other people may prefer the variety that lots of small factions would provide.

I don't think this would be all too hard to implement (although there might be a lot of places in the code which rely on the default size and would have to be changed).

2 answers to this suggestion

Honestly? Probably not going to get much traction.

Intended as an RPG, making the map suddenly smaller means you get to the boss fights well before you have leveled up... Or making the map larger, just means that you have to grind through a lot of extra space just to get where you are going...

It's already possible for a new player to be in/near the middle of the map in a hurry, utilizing the existing non-aggressive nature of the game to swim deeper and deeper.