Color Blind friendly

DoorsMonster

Suggestion

Hi! First, I love this game, is awesome.

Mr Dev, could you please add some color-blind option to the game? There are some colors that are really hard to see for me. For example, the red square enclosing enemy ships is almost invisible to me. Maybe allowing some color tuning.

Also, could you make the HUD resizable? That would be super practical!

Keep making that nice work!

11 answers to this suggestion

Yeah, UI allows you to change its colors, but not things like object indicators (around enemies, stations, asteroids). Often I am in a situation like trying to find out where's the enemy ship that is shooting me, looking desperately at all sides because I can't see red squares in the border of the screen in a greeny environment. I think that red indicators are my issue.

Would probably require a small redesign of the relation UI right now, as it currently is a gradient that goes through 6 or so distinct colors to go with each relation. Maybe faction relation display can be simplified to red/orange for attack on sight, white/gray for neutral, and green/blue for friendly, and have the detailed relationship color used when you select the ship.

Any update on this? I've not looked for any mods yet  so I'm hopeful but I'd much prefer options in game for those of us that are colour deficient.

Yes, I have news. According to the news page, the next major update will be massive and bring:

-mods in the Steam Workshop

-many more modifiable files

-modding guides such as a general guide, examples, "internals" guide, troubleshooting, and best practices (these are officially available in the Wiki)

With these, I assume that someone, if not a developer, will present a color scheme for the color-blind. Stay alert in the workshop and forum for such a mod!

"Patch 0.23" https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5655.0.html

"Upcoming Updates" https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5584.0.html

Any news on this? I'm in the same boat as DoorsMonster. Even though I mostly only have trouble telling certain shades of yellow and green apart, the red color that's used to mark enemies (the squares as well as the direction arrows) is almost invisible to me, especially on a dark background. Using a bright red color as opposed to a dark and muted one would be sufficient; though having an option to display slightly bolder direction arrows as well would also be appreciated. :)

We still have it in mind! We started with having less colors to begin with, and will try to make them either customizable or provide different color options. Please have patience :)

Thanks a lot for the update! Your ongoing work to improve the many aspects of the game (and in this case make it more accessible for a lot of people) is greatly appreciated. :)