Practical block limit

Avitus12

So I'm curious, where would the practical block limit for one ship is with a mid/highend PC, I have been up around the 8k blocks mark a few times and all is still smooth, with the exception of it taking a few seconds to compute the AO but the frame rate is fine and there is no lag, I have a beefy i7 cpu with 16 gig of ram and an 4 gig ddr5 GTX 970 gpu?

Sure I could load my ship up with blocks till I killed my pc and derive a number from that, but I feel it cant hurt to ask if someone has already done that ^_^

What you have to consider, that your ship is usually not only thing on the screen... or you can have more than one of them...

And big question is if you play online or singleplayer - when online, creating ship from lot of blocks can really bog servers down for other players aswell... so yeah, don´t do that :D

I personally have no problem with 8k blocks in SP... but for smooth online experience, I would say quarter of that should be enough.

What you have to consider, that your ship is usually not only thing on the screen... or you can have more than one of them...

And big question is if you play online or singleplayer - when online, creating ship from lot of blocks can really bog servers down for other players aswell... so yeah, don´t do that :D

I personally have no problem with 8k blocks in SP... but for smooth online experience, I would say quarter of that should be enough.

I host a local server on my computer and two of my friends join, our ships normally have 3/6k blocks and lag is minimal 90% of the time.

You say around 2k blocks is ideal for mp games to keep the lag down, and of course there are a few factors hear but is this estimation from experience or just a general feel from what you have herd/guessed?

I do not understand what you're asking. How does anyone supposed to know what the limit is?

If you're concerned with game performance, its one thing that directly depends on your processor.

If you're concerned with server lag, its a completely different thing that depends on server's processor.

Whatever value someone would tell you will be completely arbitrary.

Well, what I'm asking is, has any one found an average block count that bogs there system down, be it sp, mp, low end, high end ect, I just wanted some numbers thrown at me to get a better idea about how system intensive high amounts of blocks are.

I guess maybe I should have added a "?" to the title of this thread?... lolz

Without having any knowledge of how Avorion is rendered internally, there is also the possibility that only visible surface blocks are considered, so the OPs question might not even apply directly.

I have noticed that often when a large fleet of aliens warp in there can be a small delay. This could be the server (local or not) sending data to the client. It could also be the client going through the model to optimize what is rendered and what is ignored until any surface block reaches the destroy limit. It could be something completely different.

So, assuming only surface blocks (rendered blocks) affect the limit, then say a HUGE cube could be 6 simple sides to render only, even though it might contain a million blocks on the inside, could be really fast to render. Another scenario could be say a 5000 block ship built in such a way that most blocks are visible all the time vs another 5000 block ship where half or more of the blocks are always hidden from view depending on the angle.

Lastly there is as someone has mentioned already the question of a limit - compared to what? An old machine with dated hardware? A state of the art brand spanking new gaming machine?

In other words, i don't think it will be easy to find a general block limit other than asking people what they have used so far with succes on their own systems. EDIT: Which i see you have just added to your question ;)