[MOD] /showdist command - simple distance informations for serious captains

w00zla

Hello together,

i just wanted to give you the little mod i made for this lovely game, hopefully someone finds it as usefull as i did :D

DESCRIPTION:

This mod delivers you two commands which can be used to display the distance of the player to certain locations, measured in sectors.

Those locations can either be the center/core of the galaxy, the home sector of the player or a user-defined sector.

This may be usefull for different things like finding Boss Swoks ;) or planning some trading- and jump-routes...

Note:

I know there is already a mod with similar functionality, but i didnt know before beginning to create this one and i am still posting because it has more features ... funnily enough the mod creator had the same intention to find Swoks with his mod in the first place ;D

FEATURES:

Commands:

/showdist

Shows distance of player to defined location in chat window.

Usage:

/showdist center

/showdist home

/showdist home <PLAYER>

/showdist sector <XXX:YYY>

/showdist sector <XXX:YYY> <NAME>

/showdistjump

Shows distance to registered locations after each jump as notifications.

You can register multiple locations which will all be shown after jumps!

Usage:

/showdistjump center

/showdistjump home

/showdistjump home <PLAYER>

/showdistjump sector <XXX:YYY>

/showdistjump sector <XXX:YYY> <NAME>

/showdistjump off

Parameters:

<PLAYER> = name or index of existing player

<XXX:YYY> = coordinates value (like "321:456" or "12:-34")

<NAME> = name value (like "Trade1" or "SomeSector", no spaces)

INSTALLATION:

Download ZIP for latest release from GitHub and extract it to <Avorion>\data\ directory, like with other mods.

No vanilla script files will be overwritten, so there should be no problem with other mods or file changes due to game updates!

Multiplayer: This mod is server-side only, so no files have to be installed on clients for multiplayer games.

Changelog:

v0.4

- added possibility to show/register distance to any existing player's home-sector

- fixed problem with negative and reversed coordinates

- the /showdistjump command now remembers registered locations over saves and loads (you must use the /showdistjump off command now to get rid of the notifications!)

v0.3

- added possibilty to also define a name for user-defined sectors

- improved output of /help showdist and /help showdistjump commands

- minor changes and code comments =)

v0.2

- added possibility to register multiple user-defined sectors with /showdistjump command

Feel free to post feedback, bugs and feature suggestions if you like, I was having fun developing this and would really like to continue on it :)

Great mod, and I love the additional features you've added to this idea. Is this server clientside or serverside or both? I could just look at the file I suppose but maybe you could edit the OP and include this information?

EDIT: is it possible to add a /showdisthelp command that prints out the commands for players in chat? That would be pretty useful for servers. Thanks

Great mod, and I love the additional features you've added to this idea. Is this server clientside or serverside or both? I could just look at the file I suppose but maybe you could edit the OP and include this information?

EDIT: is it possible to add a /showdisthelp command that prints out the commands for players in chat? That would be pretty useful for servers. Thanks

Very happy that you like my mod  ;D

I have just uploaded a new version 0.3 which improves the output of the standard /help command for showdist and showdistjump!

Just type "/help showdist" or "/help showdistjump" in your chat-window and you will get detailed info about the commands 8)

And btw, you can now also name the user-defined sectors so the output can be more usefull!

Also updated the post so it contains info about server-/client-side.

Update to version 0.4:

• you can now show the distance to any existing player's home-sector, not only your own
  • locations registered with the /showdistjump command will now be remembered over saves and loads of the game/server
  • the problem with negative coordinates and reversed coordinates parameter (oops!!) has been fixed

• 1 month later...

I like the extra features you put in!

Would it be possible to disable showing other players their location and home sector to the issuer of the command?

I scrolled through the scripts quickly but I'm not sure what to disable.

• 3 weeks later...