[Poll] Multiplayer or Singleplayer?

Thundercraft

Avorion_logo.jpg

I've created a two question, multiple-choice survey to ask players about how much time they spend in multiplayer or if they're even interested in this aspect of the game. Why? Because I'm curious.

Take the survey

(Note: A question can't be skipped. Both questions must be answered.)

(Note: Requires Shockwave Flash... Sorry about that.)

Your participation is appreciated. Thank you.

I'll post the results here after two weeks from today. That is, I'll post it on or after March 11'th.

So far, this topic has 100 views. But, so far, the poll has had only 23 submissions...

There are less than 12 days left. Just saying. I hope the sample size is going to be large enough for this poll to be meaningful. :( Not enough and people will claim that it is not representative of the playerbase.

Weird. It opened fine for me. Though, I noticed that several people opened the survey and/or started it without finishing.

Maybe your Shockwave Flash plugin is outdated or has been disabled for most sites? Or, perhaps it might help to clear your browser's cache before reloading the page and trying again?

Should I open a separate poll on the forums and add the results of the poll and survey together?

Flash is very certainly a problem. I have to say I hate it with a passion and I won't install it anywhere any more. Flash had its time but that is gone now.

I don't want to derail too much, but it's a lot more likely that I would cast a vote here ;)

You should see a 'Add Poll' button next to the reply button, which would allow you to add it to this post

is it just out of curiosity or is  there something you wish to find out specifically?

personally i have been single player only, since the game isnt finished yet, and dont want to indulge im MP because of that. since anything that isnt functioning, or balanced properly, will be exploited for competitive advantage.

that said, i hope multi-player is a significant focus of development, since any functionality or balance changes made to benefit multi-player will contribute to re-playability and diversity of single-player gameplay

Flash is very certainly a problem. I have to say I hate it with a passion and I won't install it anywhere any more. Flash had its time but that is gone now.

I understand. What I often do is set my browser with "Always ask" so a bar on top pops up saying it was blocked. When I go to a site I like that absolutely requires Flash, I click to enable it. Video streaming hosts are an example. (Sometimes I choose "Allow now" instead of "Allow and remember".)

is it just out of curiosity or is  there something you wish to find out specifically?

In a topic, someone claimed that most Avorion players stick with singleplayer and doubted that even 10% play multiplayer - without anything to support this. I doubted that opinion and decided to do a poll to find out. We also debated how important multiplayer is for Avorion.

personally i have been single player only, since the game isnt finished yet, and dont want to indulge im MP because of that.

This is probably a common sentiment. Judging by the poll results so far, there's a sizable group who plan to do multiplayer some day, but who haven't tried it yet.

If you want my opinion, you should think the whole thing over to add some more interesting statistics to show and remake the poll using Google Forms.

I won't just abandon the poll I started. That would feel like a betrayal. But I may start a new one. I'll try to keep Google Forms in mind.

Do you have any suggestions for "more interesting statistics" or better-phrased questions related to multiplayer?

Perhaps I should ask questions about stuff like what game difficulty they prefer, what collision damage should be set at, and whether they would prefer a vanilla or modded server?

Actually I believe at the moment the problem is not about multiplayer or not. It's more between PvP and PvE.

The style of Avorion is very good for multiplayer. However similar to other games, multiplayer game play will involve the choice of PvP which will lead to a whole new level of complaints and balance issues.

No one like to see everything they set up get destroyed after a day which has a very high chance to occur in multiplayer game. The insurance system is one thing to counter the total loss of the above situation. But is it really necessary to force ourselves to experience it over and over again? It's a very subjective topic.

For myself, if the Dev want to focus on multiplayer, I'm fine as long as they don't remove the single player game mode.

Multiplayer is not important to me now days. I prefer a good single player experience and I find multiplayer in a setting like this to be to tedious to set up and get running. Maybe if they add official dedicated servers I will give them a try someday but for now single player is fine with me.

I prefer single player and co-op games myself.  Especially if the game is keyed towards casual gaming as life, work, and family do exist outside the game.  I would love to see a pause feature introduced for single player.  As it stands this game is good as a single player game.  Multiplayer is a viable option in the game but not exactly a necessary experience for me.