Long loading times of sectors results in being unable to interact

DRAGNET

Hi!

First I have to say,  me and my 4 other friends I managed to infect with the Avorion Virus love this Game!

I have a 10Mbit/s LTE connection and have lots of trouble playing on my friend's server. Usually with other games there is no problem at all, ping is great for LTE (mostly under 100ms, usually around 60-70ms, sometimes as low as 45ms) and I get up to 1200kb/s download speeds.

The server is sending me only between 30 to 250kb/s on average (it jumps up and down) and this results in very long loading times especially for sectors with lots of content, and it looks for me as if long loading times breaks something server side (sync-problem?), I can shoot and fly, I see other NPC's fly around but I can not swap modules, enter ships or mark a hyperjump destination on the map or remote-command ships etc.

I also have a slow (but more stable) 1.5Mbit/s ADSL line, but have the same problem with long loading times resulting in being unable to interact when finally in the sector.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

DRAGNET

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Added command line:

--use-steam-networking 0 (same as below)

Changed Server.ini:

useSteam = false

isAuthenticated = false

No problems anymore! Direct connection to server on port 20000, no more routing through steam network across the globe =)

It's loading big sectors super fast now... wheeeeeeee!

Update 2:

When disabling useSteam, login to server and first load takes a very long time, found out why:

Both Client and Server log report "Client Communicator received message that remote is not receiving UDP packets. Switching to TCP only." after several failed retries with UDP, then falls back to TCP.

After successful login (takes about 5mins), loading sectors is much faster compared when using steam network, and no problems with not being able to interact.