AI Ships Stuck

Phyne

I've slowly been developing a sector of my own with all sort of factories and such. It was super cool for awhile to have AI cargo ships trading with all the various stations. My friend also placed a couple stations of his own in the same sector. All of a sudden though, all of the cargo ships/loaders in the sector stopped moving and are kinda spazzing in place.

I've tried exiting the sector for awhile, restarting the game, physically pushing them with my ships, etc. Nothing seems to work. It kinda sucks because they'd bring materials to the stations for them to produce!

Is there anything I can do to fix them?

Game version: 7448

Playing on a private server with one friend

• Boxelware Team

It seems to help if you leave and reenter the galaxy. All orders that you gave to the unresponsive AI are lost, it will continue with the last received order before becoming unresponsive.

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm happy to find a post related to my problem I can join.

As the OP I'm playing on a server and I found 5 stations on an already populated sector with 4 default generated stations. NPC freighters come and try to trade with my stations, some success but some just got stuck. They get stuck in front of docks when they are practically ready to trade (at least in my case).

The solution I found is to delete temporarily the dock block which forces the freighter to try another dock. But it is a little tediuous when you have many stations.

I have the hypotheses that this happens with heavy freighters because, according to lines 45-46 of  'data/scripts/entity/ai/dock.lua', freighters deaccelerate when they are at a certain distance, but because they are heavy they stop completely before being able to dock, so they accelerate again... but because they are heavy its inertia makes them get <0.01 velocity as marked in dock.lua so they enter stage 2... so they accelerate again but inertia again makes them get <0.01 vel... and we have a loop so that's why they get stuck. That's what I've observed in the sector 10:165 of a galaxy with seed = 2p97rqmq3q

I'd suggest to give npc freighters a bigger docking range than players have, that'd be cheating for ai but greatly improve station-building experience.

Thank you for reading this. I love this game :)