Simple Block made weapons! with illustration!

LordMaddog

Suggestion

I would really like to see block made weapons added but it has to be simple!

My suggestion is this:

1 new block is added called weapon block. When selected a drop down menu like this pops up.

Screenshot24.jpg

This would let the player choose the type of weapon.

now you place the block like normal and it works like this

The width and height of the block will determine its energy efficiency and max aim angle.

IE: a block of 0.05 scale can only shoot at a 25° arc in front of it. While a block of 0.1 might be able to shoot at a 75° arc.

However the larger the block the slower the aiming speed. So a block of 0.5 might be able to shoot at an almost 360° angle and have excellent energy efficiency but it will take forever for it to turn and track its target. For missiles on the other hand the larger the slower they move.

Screenshot22.jpg

The length of the block will determine its optimal range and accuracy.

In case of missiles their lock on maneuverability.

Screenshot23.jpg

Once placed in the build mode a new UI option becomes available. In this option you can adjust its fire rate and damage. The higher the DPS the more power draw.

That's it its that simple.

Of course each weapon type would calculated range and DPS according to its own type and I believe the player should have to buy or find the different types as they play starting only with the chain gun.

(sorry din't see your post koonschi on no weapon blocks before I made this post tho I still like this idea :P )

2 answers to this suggestion

I was very disappointed to hear the DEVs response on the matter. I feel there can be middle ground on the subject. Having such a restrictive weapon system for the sake of balance seems really lame.  It also greatly reduces how creative to can be with ship design.  Because of turrets, the optimal design is a cube or flat, wide ship.  I tried to build a vertical ship, and the only way I could get the turrets to work was to build a stick off the front top of the ship and put all the turrets on it.

What if the spine mounted/hard point block weapons had extreamly basic stats?  Making them about as powerful as a low level turret to start.  To furth help balance initial damage and size they would require a constant energy draw plus generate heat based on size.

To beef them up you would add weapons modules to them just like you do ship modules.  Things like Supper conductors to reduce heat, laser refractors to increase damage.

This way you keep them from being over powered, AND still make looting the main foucs of acquiring a killer weapon.

My ships are nor flat nor cubes and they can shot all their turrets at front facing enemies all of the 17.

Personnaly i like the actual system that have pretty turrets that actually don't look like blocks and only hope there will be more variety in them for the size and stats (and maybe some fixed weapons), but this will surely come later.

Making something like that will be a nightmare to balance and i don't think it will bring much more to the game.

I prefer simple rules that make your brain work to have a nice design, than overcomplicated rules like in FTD where you end up building for 500hours to finally understand there is only one design that works.