Gyros only seem to boost Roll?

Ryugi

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the gyroscope blocks only add to my Roll stat in any appreciable way when designing larger ships.  Even if intended more for smaller vessels, you would think that they would still add their rotational torque to different stats more equally, or change depending on block size and orientation, much like a real gyroscope, or even like the thrusters we now have.

Thrusters, in my book, are by no means obsolete with the introduction of gyros and Inertial Dampeners, though the dampeners really help with break thrust.  But side-to-side motion, strafing, moving up and down, are all handled by thrusters.  I like that mechanic, but I still feel larger ships should still be able to benefit somewhat in other categories outside of roll from using gyroscopes.

I suspect a problem with the UI not showing the right values, but I'll agree with you that if those values are correct, it's probably way too little. I also did notice the fact that it mostly shows roll and very little if anything to pitch and yaw, which makes no sense. Then again, if you can get either a decent pitch or yaw, roll can make up for the lower stat if you're smart, so from a design perspective, I could see a reason for gyros giving more roll than anything else.

It's funny though, 'cause I was the one to say that we'd need to be careful with gyros, but I honestly feel they're either bugged or useless at the moment. Then again, it's a new block, we should be patient, adjustments will come.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the gyroscope blocks only add to my Roll stat in any appreciable way when designing larger ships.  Even if intended more for smaller vessels, you would think that they would still add their rotational torque to different stats more equally, or change depending on block size and orientation, much like a real gyroscope, or even like the thrusters we now have.

Thrusters, in my book, are by no means obsolete with the introduction of gyros and Inertial Dampeners, though the dampeners really help with break thrust.  But side-to-side motion, strafing, moving up and down, are all handled by thrusters.  I like that mechanic, but I still feel larger ships should still be able to benefit somewhat in other categories outside of roll from using gyroscopes.

1. Build new ship, same size of your previous one. BUT...

2. Make it as wide as it was long before (basically turn it 90 degrees)

3. Add gyros, watch pitch/yaw/roll now.

4. Conclude if gyros are bugged or if we just learned something new about physics :)

I am curious myself :D

• Boxelware Team

Does your ship happen to be long? If yes, then gyros probably only boost roll because the inertia tensor along your main axes is simply too high. Since gyros apply a torque directly by using moving parts their impact is influenced by the shape of your ship. A long ship will turn slower along axes perpendicular to its main axis, that's simply how the physics works. Scale your gyros larger and you should see more impact in the stats preview for the other axes.

Or, when you have long ship... just slap directional thrusters on the ends. Worked for me

I get that. I do it, too. In fact, I haven't used gyros or dampeners yet... and that's precisely what we're pointing out. While I did express my concerns that gyros shouldn't be efficient enough to replace thrusters, I didn't expect them to be mostly useless. All I said is they should allow to supplement rotation(on every axis) speeds without being as placement-dependent as thrusters.

As it is, I feel their existence does not even matter.

Does your ship happen to be long? If yes, then gyros probably only boost roll because the inertia tensor along your main axes is simply too high. Since gyros apply a torque directly by using moving parts their impact is influenced by the shape of your ship. A long ship will turn slower along axes perpendicular to its main axis, that's simply how the physics works. Scale your gyros larger and you should see more impact in the stats preview for the other axes.

Ultimately this did turn out to be true, but only barely. 

Honestly, if possible, it would feel better if gyros scaled in various dimensions added slightly more or less rotational torque depending on their shape.  For example, perhaps a long gyro block would fit better for a long ship, as more of the rotational toque is spread out along the mass of the ship, or allow gyros to have markers similar to directional thrusters to show how the rotational toque is applied, and have them behave in a way similar to the directional thrusters, so you could place a few different gyros to help pick up the slack if your thrusters can't do the job very well. 

As it stands now, I feel like gyros need to feel a little love in that department, particularly for larger vessels, else it'll only push the designs of ships to be more cube-shaped, or something like that.  Either that, or have them scale a little more effectively in their stats as they get larger to compensate for some of the larger ship designs, where it's hard to have large portions of your ship not be other internal types of blocks.

Ultimately this did turn out to be true, but only barely. 

Respectfully disagree.

Honestly, if possible, it would feel better if gyros scaled in various dimensions added slightly more or less rotational torque depending on their shape.  For example, perhaps a long gyro block would fit better for a long ship, as more of the rotational toque is spread out along the mass of the ship, or allow gyros to have markers similar to directional thrusters to show how the rotational toque is applied, and have them behave in a way similar to the directional thrusters, so you could place a few different gyros to help pick up the slack if your thrusters can't do the job very well. 

There is already a way to boost specific axis: directional thrusters.

Markers on gyros make no sense, since gyros apply exactly the same torque to each axis (yaw, pitch, roll). If some rotation is boosted more than others, that means that your moment of inertia along that axis is smaller than along others. And that moment of inertia is dependant on your mass distribution, for example:

Long, thin ship would roll more easily

Wide, short ship would have high Pitch

and "vertically" oriented ship would naturally be easier to yaw.

As it stands now, I feel like gyros need to feel a little love in that department, particularly for larger vessels, else it'll only push the designs of ships to be more cube-shaped, or something like that.  Either that, or have them scale a little more effectively in their stats as they get larger to compensate for some of the larger ship designs, where it's hard to have large portions of your ship not be other internal types of blocks.

That's the point, no? When you start making really big ships, you can't just slap some volume of gyros and be okay - bigger creation means using more interesting decisions to maintain maneuverability, like directional thrusters placed strategically.

As for me, gyros being weaker for larger ships is wonderful, because making large ships to turn should be hard. Not impossible, no, but you need to think about it and dedicate some of your voulme for this cause.

That's the point, no? When you start making really big ships, you can't just slap some volume of gyros and be okay - bigger creation means using more interesting decisions to maintain maneuverability, like directional thrusters placed strategically.

As for me, gyros being weaker for larger ships is wonderful, because making large ships to turn should be hard. Not impossible, no, but you need to think about it and dedicate some of your voulme for this cause.

Wrong lol.. all gyro's my friend. But I love this "you can't just slap some volume of gyros and be okay" It is like you tested 100% of this game lol

4h5mdw.jpg

So yes.. you can use volume of gyro.. and be okay.

Hope this helps Ryugi. Takes practice but it sure can be done :)

Currently working on affording it in my main game. Shes a beaut, but expensive lol

okay, you're right. My statement was vague and in the end incorrect.

"Past certain ship size, strategically placed thrusters are significantly more beneficial (per volume invested) than gyros" - that should be more or less it.