FrAvatar Shipyard Sollutions. (2 *NEW* Frigate Prototypes, now with .xml files)

FrAvatar

Hello fellow ship designers,

I'm FrAvatar and I thought I'd share my first attempt at a Starter Corvette class ship  The Pollo Corvette MkI.  It's made with some iron (for inertial dampeners) and the rest with Titanium.  I build it about 18 hours on and off.  I'd say it's about 95% complete.  It's around 55 meters long, 22m wide and 18m tall.

(I didn't count exactly, but was using the 1m cube (Size 0.2) as the starting block.)

It holds a crew of 16, a tiny cargo hold ( size 1 ) and 2 module slots.  I  I tried to make the ship small enough to only hold 1 module slot, but I breached the 51k m³ @ 54k m³ volume size.  I'm not 100% happy with the detailing, nor with the shape of the front of the ship,  I'll probably need to work on it a bit more.  It doesn't even have any shields yet as I have not even left the starter area.  I did record the build and will be posting it to youtube as a sped up time lapse with post commentary soon. But for now here are some screenshots.

Starter Corvette MkI ship side view

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Starter Corvette MkI ship front angle view

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Starter Corvette ship rear angle view

At this point I managed to travel far enough into the galaxy to find Naonite, and upgraded the corvette to MkII  almost doubling power generation and adding roughly the same amount of HP to shields as we have in hull.  and increasing Jump range to  over 4 sectors. 

Then I decided to design a Frigate Class.  The design here is using the previous Corvette MkII, like if they were docked as wings for the new Frigate class.  This has for result in bumping it all the way up to 4 modules,  I might see about making it a bit smaller ( to keep it as a 3 module sockets ship)  Or keep building it as a 4 socket Heavy Frigate.  The current design is not 100% finished, as currently it's too fast (Boosts for 2000+m/s/s) and not maneuverable enough.

Prototype Decius Frigate Class

FA-3 Prototype Frigate side view

20B78BEA05D2EBF8F45CECF3817978E10B444188

FA-3 Prototype Frigate rear angle

stats for the Frigate Prototype.

Then I was not really happy with the result of this Frigate Prototype build as it handles horribly.  I gave up on it for now and decided that I would try for some Homeworld themed ships.  Here is a the Turanic Ion Array Frigate,  now 100% done.

It's approx. 145 meters long, 75 meters wide and  65 meters in height.

The final build cost: $ 427,961

Iron: 7,349

Titanium: 13,229

Naonite: 36,906

I was debating at first if I should add shields or not, as most ships in Homeworld did not have shields.

But I decided to add shields anyway.  Currently it has a little over 10k Hull Hp and 10k Shield Hp a jump range of 8 sectors (55 second cooldown), 162 crew quarters, 160.8 Cargo space, 5 upgrade slots and needs 17 Engineers and  26 Mechanics.  I did have to concede certain slopes, as I'm not sure how to do slopes that are on all 3 axis (not sure how to explain that.)  Also I did take some liberties on adding some "Glass" blocks,  that were not on the original ship.  I like the look of some of the glass blocks allowing to see the blocks underneath it.  Especially for glowing and windows for crew quarters.  If that annoys you as being weak spots,  just change the glass blocks to armor. 

Also of note, there are turret lock blocks inside the front "Gun Barrel" I was able to mount 6 guns in there so you can make it have functional spinal mount weapons.  there's probably more room in there if you want to mount more.  I'm not sure how well the AI handles Spinal mount weapons, butt it works fine for a player controlled ship.  I do suggest to ad a few mounts all around the ship. especially if you want to use it as a miner\salvager.  it's better to have gun coverage from every angle, not just the front, since the AI doesn't seem to know it needs to reposition the ship to get the guns pointing at the target.  Having Turret coverage from every side will also help the ship to not get stuck as much on debris (when salvaging).

Turanic Ion Array Frigate MkI (<-click for Ship stats)

B4192FFFD6C11097A3A994F1818E3C9C78FB22EF

46A519740CDE851E21E16861D04F63215E2219E0

D3FFA7367386EC67DF484B5B6A1A07F25B9AD8D0

Starter_Corvette.zip

Turanic_Ion_Array_Frigate_MkI.zip

Hello FrAvatar,

Interesting ship, has some unique designs, kind of reminds me of the rocinante from the expanse in some ways and mixed with a federation ship. 

Look forward to where you take the the design and any new ships you create.

That's a good eye you have there Hyperion87,  I absolutely got my inspiration from the Rocinante from the expanse.  (which is why I'm not happy with the current front, it needs to be narrower.  )  I did work with what ship stats and reference pics I could google up,  but the only stat for the ship is that it's about 2000 tonnes, 42 meters long and has a crew of 12 with room for up to 25 marines if necessary.  Mine's about 10 meters longer but other than that  it's close to the Roci's silouette if nothing else.

An here for your consideration,  The  M-1 Moulded Salad "Gunboat" class.  Named after a subscriber to my channel for pointing me in the direction of this great gem of a game.  Gunboat is in quotes as it's more of a utility\worker ship than a gunboat.  Allthough it could be armed as a gunboat if you so choose.

@50.99k m³  volume it 's at the limit of size for a one system module ship.  After taking it out for a test run as a remote miner, I see that i could remove some crew quarters (currently 35) and probably some cargo space, for more engines.

I found that for the use I want to get out of it it will probably need to be faster overall.  I was in a system where my mini-miner was in a competition with an AI ship for the available resources asteroids.  for a while they would both select the same ones to mine and would "Race" each other to the asteroid and then they would both mine it.  I want my ship to get there first, that and I want my worker ship to be faster to be able to keep up with my other ship. 

The M-1 Moulded Salad "Gunboat" class (WiP)

493FFCDABEC8CC1D54E118744A9E32D506C0C1D8

Ship Stats screen

CCDF787A92608C26D14521EB36815C46F6316994

M-1_Moulded_Salad_Gunboat8.xml

• 4 weeks later...