Wormhole to home sector

Vrmithrax

Suggestion

So, with all of the running around that can be done in this game, I was contemplating one piece that would be handy at times: a quick trip home. I didn't see anything quite like this in my searches of existing suggestions, so... What I'm proposing is something along the following lines:

• Set a "Home" Sector (maybe a beacon required?)
  • When travelling, allow triggering to create a temporary wormhole to "Home"
  • Travel through to warp as normal, notice a wormhole rip remains at "Home"
  • Do your business at "Home"
  • Move back through the wormhole rip to warp back to previous location
  • Wormhole collapses on both ends

The idea is that we have a quick method to go back to a specific location, then return to where you were. The idea came about as I was accumulating massive numbers of turrets and other items that I wanted to research and convert to better items, but getting back to a lab could take forever. Being able to set the sector with the feature you want (R&D lab, specific turret factory, etc.) as your "Home" would be a welcome addition.

There are some balance points that could be used for it, to avoid exploits. Like make it a one-time use only - maybe a module you have to install in your ship that disappears after the return trip.  Or perhaps a block you have to build onto the ship, with a massive cooldown/recharge time and/or huge ore fuel cost for each use. And only allow one active "Home" portal open at a time.

1 answer to this suggestion