text plate blocks

darkconsole

Suggestion

i'm thinking maybe flat plates we can stick to the hull and apply text rendered as texture to them. for doing things like sticking the name of the ship, on the ship.

i wouldn't worry about curves and all that unless you're super into the idea. just a flat block that scales x,y and can be rotated to be bolted to whatever flat surface we have.

you've already got working angle detection since bolting turrets to edge blocks works well. i think this would be really cool and step up the level of awesomesauce especially in multiplayer.

taking that even farther, depending if you have a way to project textures, like how world of warcraft et al put circles on the ground when a character is active or when they cast various spells and runes distort to always be projected on the floor... we could then have non-flat surfaces work well too. the blocks then could have a directional indicator for the direction of projection.

but honestly just a flat plate would be fine 99% of the time.

latest?cb=20121104035219&path-prefix=en

3 answers to this suggestion

Though we can already kinda do that, the current method of placing small blocks pixel style is rather limiting. Having blocks that put text directly would be great, would've made putting the "Police Box" wording on my Tardis creation much easier! In fact I possibly could've been able to get the finer wordings too.. xD

I can imagine this in the game, Ships marked with their name somewhere on the hull, people making little signs with words defining a secret, or perhaps a co-ordinate to a secret base or something. Or a discreet way to share messages to other players without chat! ... Even though there already is a whisper command.. still it'd be pretty cool ^-^

re: using small blocks as pixel art

i tried to do this, but i cant. because the ambient occlusion shadowing even paper thin blocks cause weird shadows on the hull around them. and the game looks really bad with AO off :D

I make the letters from glowy blocks :) That way the edges aren't visible to begin with.