Help sorting out save data

Blondersheel

I've had a co-op game going with a friend for awhile now. A couple days ago, my hard drive started to go (windows started having some issues starting up and bunch of the files on the drive became corrupt). When I noticed this I immediately copied over some important files (Avorion save included!) to a different drive. This was fortunate because the next time I restarted, the drive finished it's death process.

I'm now trying to get our game back up and running on a new install and having some issues. Unfortunately some of the avorion files were already corrupt when I copied everything over (I.e. All the sector data). When I load up our game, most of the important stuff is there (I.e. Materials, turrets, and systems). Sectors are entirely different (to be expected since all the sector data was lost), but the map is still showing the explored area from our previous gameplay. What this means is that any area we haven't been to seems to be working properly, but any area we have been to shows misinformation.

I've realized there's no way to completely restore our old game, but I would like to keep all our materials, turrets, and modules. Is there an easy way to either delete the existing "map" discovery data or to move all things we want to keep into a new galaxy? Would this be a matter of modifying the player.dat file?

Thanks in advance!

index in the server directory seems to hold all the meta data.

However, this also includes all known factions, and which players are on the server, so deleting this might actually destroy your game altogether.

Take a backup of everything except the sector data, delete the index file and see what it does :) Then report back to us.

:o

Definitely confirmed that discovered map data is stored in the player.dat file. Deleting the server file didn't change anything. As a workaround we just created new characters and then mailed our resources and equipment to the new characters as they have a fresh "map". Kind of a pain, but we're basically back where we left off...just in a new galaxy.