Weapon systems

LordMaddog

Suggestion

Dear koonschi:

No doubt you have seen the ENDLESS request and suggestions for weapons and block based weapons. I am guessing it's starting to get annoying :)

you once said this

Right now, I do not have plans to make fully customizable weapons, in terms of stats.

There are very simple reasons for this, and it's not because of doability or performance:

1. It would make the entire current looting system obsolete. This loot system is a very important aspect of Avorion that makes it fun, you can always find a better weapon.

2. It would be hell to balance.

I can fully agree and appreciate this statement, like I said elsewhere Borderlands looting systme was AWSOME!! and if your are striving for that here more power to ya!

However this chose has a few problems—witch I don't need to go over here especially when their is 50+ post arguing about them— Instead I would like to propose a compromise.

Turn Turret loots into 'WEAPON SYSTEMS' that are added to preplaced Turrets or weapon blocks.

IE:The player looks at turret or weapon block and chooses the one they like the looks of ( or makes their own) then places them on their ships.

Thees placed turrets/weapon blocks would have very low basic stats using the systme I suggested.

My suggestion is this:

1 new block is added called weapon block. When selected a drop down menu like this pops up.

Screenshot24.jpg

This would let the player choose the type of weapon.

now you place the block like normal and it works like this

The width and height of the block will determine its energy efficiency and max aim angle.

IE: a block of 0.05 scale can only shoot at a 25° arc in front of it. While a block of 0.1 might be able to shoot at a 75° arc.

However the larger the block the slower the aiming speed. So a block of 0.5 might be able to shoot at an almost 360° angle and have excellent energy efficiency but it will take forever for it to turn and track its target. For missiles on the other hand the larger the slower they move.

Screenshot22.jpg

The length of the block will determine its optimal range and accuracy.

In case of missiles their lock on maneuverability.

Screenshot23.jpg

Once placed in the build mode a new UI option becomes available. In this option you can adjust its fire rate and damage. The higher the DPS the more power draw.

That's it its that simple.

witch is similar to my previous suggestion

1 Make all turrets need power and make engines have there own limited after burner pool(not reliant on battery).

2 Make all turrets scale able increasing or decreasing there DPS and power draw.

3 Make all turrets independent targeting once they are past a certain scale

4 Make turning and aiming speed relative to turret size; the larger they are the slower they are. Thus making them effective against larger slower targets and quite ineffective against fast agile ones.

There should also be no arbitrary limit placed on them other than the need of gunners and energy. If this was done it would also be nice to see the plus more turrets module completely removed from the game along with the plus energy generated modules or they will be all the player will ever use.Maybe replace them with Accuracy/ range modifiers and energy efficiency.

This will make balancing easier in the long run as well as making all ship sizes more viable and the game funner as a whole because while we would still enjoy new loot as you say; we would also still have some say in the matter. If you dint know the hate for the RNG god is real and this would help elevate some of it giving the best of both worlds. 

Once they are set the player can find a weapon systme by buying or looting and equip it to one of their placed weapons. Just like you equip armor or  sword in most fantasy games.

Thees weapon systme would have cool modifiers like, burst fire, Overheat, energy use, corrosive, explosives, as well as have basic stat modifiers; and weapons would be mostly useless with out them.

This  idea would achieve what both 'You' and the builder type players really want. While leaving the balance and full control still in your hands.

Sincerely LordMaddog. 

0 answers to this suggestion

There have been no answers to this suggestion yet