Few select gameplay questions

Hello Everyone,

I hope your Morning/Afternoon/Evening

I've been playing for a few days now and have a few questions.

1. How do you balance your ships thrust/brake and axis

2. Is it better to have allot of small blocks or larger blocks and why

3.  How do people make these cool thruster configurations and is there a way to save them in predefined shapes

4. HOW COOL IS THIS GAME?!?!?!

5. Where did my resource monitor go?

6. Are there any tips to designing cool ships? likle i get through the nose/midhull and think "fek i ned a new design" then i trash the old design.

7. Are there plans for actual shaped ships? like I understand why the blocky nature of the current ships but with the submissions/creations that others have created will there be a patch to implement those ships?

I hope you have browsed around and answers were found!

All great questions.

Many of the coolest designs are offered up as .xml and it is fairly easy to select parts cut/paste them in the ship editor and even skew/scale them to your liking.

As far as ship designs for me I like starting with huge blocks of one type so I don't have to add 1,000,000 tiny pieces. Others prefer the exact opposite.

Find your happy place.

Yes this game is incredibly cool!

Hellow fellow Avorionaut,

ive spend now ~300 hours in this game, mostly in creative, so lets see if its enought tofind some answers for you:

1.) Can only tell from my point of view here, but for now... uhm, not? i mean, much experimenting what feels comfortable, whats too less/ too much is happening, so i mostly place thrusters as i think it would fit and watch the outcome...

2.) Going for efficency it seems better to have less, big blocks, since not only HP of individual blocks is determinded by volume, but also blocks like cargo-storage suffers from being split up compared to the same volume as one big block. On the other hand allow smaller scaled blocks for alot more of detailing, so again pretty much a matter of taste.

3.) Many can make incredible beautiful stuff, me was never much creative, so i recomment to search for inspiration, either here on the forums, on google, art-forums, etc... look for stuff you like, try to recreate or adapt features and build build build... practice makes perfect, no?

For predefined shapes its very easy to add templates to your menu:

- first select the blocks you want to copy with CTRL or the frame-tool-thingy

- hit CTRL+C to copy them

- open the menu with the + button in the hotkeybar and you will find it divided into 3 areas: The blocks on top, turrets in the middle and some green thingys below... those are templates alrdy given by the game

- here we want to add our own, so click a empty field and hit CTRL+V... voila, a new template for you to use wheneveer you like... oh, and you can edit the material its made of before placing it with the dropdown in the menu-windows top right corner!

4.) AT LEAST SOOO COOL!! \o/

5.) In the latest patch it got removed to make space for the new group interface, but you will a) always see your ressources if you pick up/spend em and b) get it shown again on places where you need em, like build menu, Depots etc... many dislike this new feature, i for myself always wondered why wasting nice HUD Space with a display i dont need while flying? Many discussions around, come and join!

6.) i mentioned practice makes perfect, didnt i? jk, but same same as 3) applies here...

aand 7.) there are statements to implement Steam Worksop Support to easily share designs of ships and stations at some point...

i could imagine to provide full sets (as in small ships, medium ships, big ships, transporters, stations, anything needed) so the random generated factions can additionaly choose randomly from the player's (server hosts?) selected sets, but thats just me dreamin around, nothing confirmed...

cool, thats it alrdy? if you have more questions, feel free to ask, many helpful ppl around here... almost forgot, welcome to the forum! ^,.,^

For tips on building, especially in manoeuvring thrusters, mass and position are key.

In build mode you'll see a small red/yellow/green cross, that is your centre of mass (CoM), the greater the angle between the face of the thruster and the CoM the better for yaw/pitch/roll so a directional thruster pointing directly at the CoM will give you 0 yaw/pitch/roll but will still give you break thrust/strafe in that direction.

The amount of yaw/pitch/roll is equal to thruster placement + thruster volume / total ship mass.

As to using "actual shaped ships" I take it you mean used by NPC factions, not as far as I know or at least not in the current state.

Currently NPC ships&stations are generated via random seed, personally I like it.