Demo Compatibility

When the final game is released, will the demo be compatible with production servers with the same limitations, or will they be restricted to demo only servers?

I think it would be neat to have interaction between both the 'triers' and 'buyers', but i understand if it isn't feasible.

lol why didn't you simply make the demo basically the full version but with a set of booleans in place to turn off the features not suppose to be in it?  Would make it easier to maintain compatibility.  That said it'd open the door to hackers turning the full version only stuff on. >_>  Other than that little snag it'd make things easier to maintain so you don't maintain two games at the same time.

lol why didn't you simply make the demo basically the full version but with a set of booleans in place to turn off the features not suppose to be in it?  Would make it easier to maintain compatibility.  That said it'd open the door to hackers turning the full version only stuff on. >_>  Other than that little snag it'd make things easier to maintain so you don't maintain two games at the same time.

It's past. No purpose in thinking about that.

• Boxelware Team

The demo was never intended to work with the full version. The content will be extremely different, including networking, different weapons, blocks, features, scripts, and so on. Keeping the demo around would basically mean that we have to maintain two separate versions of the game, one stripped, one full, that still have to be compatible to each other.

"Just adding some booleans" doesn't cut it. Content can be re-enabled easily in a hex editor and the only way to make sure the content isn't in the demo is to strip it entirely, hence the separate branches.

In addition to that, some content is available in the demo only, some in the full version only. Again: Keeping the demo around would mean more work and I want to concentrate on the full game, not the demo.

Unlikely, I can't think of any features that I want in the demo that aren't already there, except maybe some bugfixes or really small features.

I can respect that. Thanks for making a demo that's actually enjoyable, i and my friends got a couple of days out of it.

I'd say up the playing space for the demo and give us the second resource to see what we do.  Still gives us a taste but not so much of one we don't at some point go to the main version.  I'd say between a 50% increase and a 100% increase in playing area (might be a tad overkill but it eliminates some of the "Just Out Of Reach" issues). As for the second resource thing it'd likely come with in some starting area going into 1 higher difficulty depending on spawn site but not sure on this one.

Other than that I'm good.  Only nagging issue is AI ships and shipyard ships are generated with no power source of any kind even solar-panels. O_o  That said the taste we got not is good but it feels too "Cut Off". Not sure how else to describe it.

Other than that I'm good.  Only nagging issue is AI ships and shipyard ships are generated with no power source of any kind even solar-panels. O_o  That said the taste we got not is good but it feels too "Cut Off". Not sure how else to describe it.

That's why it's called a demo. Let them focus on the main game. Forget the demo entirely. Once fully released no steam games really have demos. You go off the cinematics (which look killer already) and the reviews.

Asking for a bigger demo will only delay the full release.

Demo is cool - a full game is cooler. No worries - full release will come sooner or later. In the meantime, for the patient ones I can recommend another cool game called Tetris.  ???