[API Request] FighterController Component

Nexus

After encountering a recent, and fairly frustrating issue involving the defensive stance of the fighters being unable to cope with multiple targets; I decided to finally ask for access to the thing so I can make fighters all they can be.

Of course this is a request, not a demand so I understand if things take time...or if you want me to wait for a while longer. At least I can tell the people who use the mod that its coming =P

Of course this could also be the part where koonschi tells me that I'm an idiot and the FighterController doesn't even manage that aspect =P

I dont understand what your specifically asking for. do you want fighters to split and take on multiple targets?

In essence yes. I was adding in this functionality to carrier commands to allow you to limit the number of fighters per wreck/asteroid instead of a all or nothing scenario. It was a requested feature from a few people but it exposed a flaw in the current system where the defensive stance..which is the only stance you can issue target orders to, cant handle fighters going after multiple targets. After around 2-5 seconds the targets will clear and the fighters selectedObject will be set to nil.

After doing some testing since...well I thought I was being dumb and doing something wrong, (lets face it..it happens) I made the simplest script to test what the hell was going on and it reveled the issue.

function issueFighterTarget()
local sector = Sector()
local player = Player()
local ship = Entity()

--Target selection based upon fighters position
local wrecks = {sector:getEntitiesByType(EntityType.Wreckage)}
for _, wreck in pairs (wrecks) do
	local fighters = {sector:getEntitiesByFaction(player.index)}
	for _, fighter in pairs(fighters) do
		if fighter.isFighter and fighter.isUnarmedTurret == 1 then
			if fighter.selectedObject == nil then
				fighter.selectedObject = wreck
				break --Hurray for lua 5.2
			end
		end
	end
end
end

When placing the wreck field about 5-10k out the fighters will be given the targets..but soon after the targets will clear out...then be reissued again..and again. I'm hoping that access to the FighterController component will allow me to correct this issue. Or it may even be a more fundamental problem hidden even deeper in the code somewhere.

That being said, if the target is within close enough proximity (< 1k distance it seems) and the fighter manages to start its attack run the target wont get cleared.