Ship Building : Grid / Lights

MrBlack

Hey

I´am searching for the meaning of the local grid and the grid size. What can i do with these options ?

Is there a manual for the building icons ?

And how can i change the color of the lights ?

Thanks for your help.  :-*

Mr.Black / Daniel

First: YouTube is your friend. Many vids showing ship building there, it's where I learned what's what.

Grid sizes are pretty straight forward. One is for the pieces and one is for "world" that you attach them in. Smaller increments mean more control over size and placement. For example, .25 vs .5; .25 would give you half steps for size and placement compared to .5. I have read to never use a step ending in .5, as it doesn't play well when scaling later on. I'm still building pretty bricks for the most part so I couldn't say...

Colors: Click the palette lower left and pick a color. Click the circle icon in the top line next to the color, click the color block next to it. Go to the block you want to color and click it...

Manuel has the day off...

Cheers..!

Hello and welcome!

i guess your first question refers to the "Local Grid/Global Grid/Block Middle/Free Placing" dropdown - so lets see: First off we should clear up the both Sliders above, called "Grid Size" and "Block Scaling" (sry if my translations are incorrect, using the german client, hopefully it is understandable):

Grid Size:

Uhm, lets explain like this: Place a large block, then move a smaller block above it... Try this with a big and a small Grid Size, see the difference? with a bigger grid the "steps" in which the block you want to place moves differ depending on your setting here.

Block Scaling:

Decide here how big the steps are in which your block alters when using WASD to make blocks bigger/smaller, as in a 0.5x0.5x0.5 block will, with a Scaling setting of... say 1, grow to 1(see how it actually made a jump of 0.5 even the setting is set to a full 1 while trying to even out first?), then 2, 3, ... side lenght while with a Scaling setting of 0.25 you get 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5 and so on...

ok, now lets look at the dropdowns options:

Local Grid:

With this enabled the block you want to place orientates on the block you are aiming with your crosshair at... remember the small/big steps from the "Grid Size" Slider above? imagine the grid lying here on the block you want to place, so if that block is offset to the rest of your ship, the block you try to place will be offset, too.

Global Grid:

choose this to make every block you place orientate on a grid in the same position... see the thin ------ lines when you enable a mirror-axis? imagine them to be your grid, always, so it doesent matter if you try to place a block on one that again is offset to the rest of your ship because the new block will orientate on the global grid, not on the local from the offset block (given that you dont move the mirror axis around, but its just mentioned as an example, tbh i'm not sure if the global grid is actually tied to the position of the mirror...).

Block Middle:

Pretty straight forward, always place at the middle of the face from the block your pointing at, no matter the grids.

Free Placing:

Dont mind for grids either, but not forced to middle here... nice for placing details and such.

hope that helps... pretty sure the game's wiki has more indept info here if needed... oh, and for the lights: Their color is dependant on the ressource they are made of, so Naonite Lights always green, Xanion ones yellow, Avorion red, etc... but you can change the glow blocks color as with any other blocks to make colored lights yourself!

Block scaling in not quite right, it's not how big the increase/decrease is, it snaps the size to a multiplier of the number set as a base, so if you start with a 0.5x0.5x0.5 cube and a block scale of 1 then the moment you try to scale it then the block will snap to 1x1x1 as the closest multiplier of 1, it'll then snap to 2, 3, 4, etc

You cannot get a cube 1.5 if the scale snap is set to 1

One thing to note is that local gird is based off the face of the block you are placing the new block against, so if you've got two blocks making a corner then the alignment is also dependent on which of the two you are trying to build on.

Same thing goes for the Match block tick box, it will match the size of the block you are trying to place on.

Lots of correct thingys!

you're absolutly right, corrected above to make future confusions less likely... tho i think the part with the local grid was just unwisely formulated... shouldnt write such things in the middle of the night  :-[

thx alot for pointing out tho!  :-*

no problems fox, you did a great job explaining it all.

"Scaling" isn't really the correct term for what it does, however it's probably the best name for it, "Block Bigness Steps" doesn't quite cut it. ;)