Gyro placement

MetalX

I am a bit confused on the optimal placement of the gyros.  Should they be placed near the thrusters they are meant to affect?  Should they be placed near the center of mass of the ship?  I am aware we can rotate them to get the proper function of them working, but their placement is what is confounding me.  And the tooltip does not say anything about placement location.

I usually make my new ships from the bow and work my way back to the aft.  This is presenting me with an issue when it comes to gyros and their most efficient placement.

I have just started using them after a few days away, and since I have been away I have not worked with them at all since the patch.  So pardon my ignorance, please.

it doesnt matter where you place them, they will produce the same force from anywhere. that said, they are dense, heavy blocks. i try to cluster them close to centre of mass in an attempt to keep my rotational inertia to a minimum.

You're not confused about the placement of gyros :) You're confused about what gyros are supposed to do.

They'll affect the whole structure of the ship. The way they're implemented isn't very realistic, and they do give a better result when placed in/on the center of mass of your ship (as they should), but you can basically place them anywhere, as Sin said.

Just keep in mind the two things that really affect them: Their size, and the total mass of your ship.

ah thanks for this, ive been placing them near the edge of my ship as part of the "engine assembly" and have been kinda disappointed with the results, will be nice to move them to the center were there is more space and were they may be more effective