Basic AI for any ship with crew

Spacefaring_Guy

Suggestion

As a general rule, humans want to live.

I propose that any player ship, with any crew, and not under player control should have some basic AI activate in the event of existential threats to the ship (damage over a threshold or the approach of known hostiles that aren't massively out matched), unless their standing orders are 'attack enemies' or 'patrol this area'.

Mostly, I'd expect a ship that is otherwise idle or mining to attempt a hyperspace hop to the nearest sector without mass or energy signatures. While waiting to jump, it should attempt to flee. While fleeing, it should return fire if possible. With a captain on board, I would expect minor threats to be destroyed instead of retreated from.

3 answers to this suggestion

I like this and agree. I would also like my ships that have non combat fighters (drones) to not launch them and rush headlong into battle.

It seems rediculous that the miners and repairers etc would not try to avoid battle unless told to stand ground or attack. Or that I cannot make a ship with repairers patrol and handle damage control.

The AI need a self preservation mode for sure, whether it's my captain happily whistling and mining away in oblivion (or more likely drunk off his gourd) while being pummeled by pirates/aliens or the herp a derp traveling explosion waiting to happen wanting me to stop the world(s) and come look at his/her/its stuff.

They should be taught to stay still and let all that equipment I gave them do some work while we're at it...

Cheers..!

Another thought, same subject.

Crew should want to live, so under performing while under fire or to the point the ship is falling apart shouldn't be an option.

Instead, they should bill you a premium for every such instance, and if you get too far in debt they can mutiny and the ship becomes an AI-run entity. (Which should probably have some server code to have it travel to the nearest friendly station-containing sector where it goes into Patrol mode or something).