Editing Data Files

xbongox

This question comes up every so often. No. There isn't. Which is a good thing, because editing that file and getting strange behaviour in an EA game.. Not good.

You won't be able to distinguish what's caused by your meddling and what's an actual bug.

Most of the editing you'd want to do, there are in-game tools for to begin with.

well,  the reason I want to is because for some reason,  my player data stopped loading and every time I log into my server,  out makes me a new player staying from scratch.  it doesn't overwrite the player data file,  so that's still there. I tried messing around with the index and player file using wordpad, with my only success being able to load a previous galaxy index file (which it didnt create a new player when I logged in, but had different galaxy and player data as an unexpected result)

most likely this is due to a mod change or update from steam... unfortunately unless you restore the exact mods you were using you will run into the same problem.

Also check to see if you are actually new... I have experienced a similar problem many times.  Open your player inventory menu. Do you have some of the things you had on your old save?

even so.

At this time there is no way to safely edit player.dat or restore your progress unless you have a perfect backup of the files you had previous to your issue.

I make frequent backups of my current "galaxy name" (Appdata/roaming/Avorion)  and "(install/directory)" Data folder to make sure I dont loose progress. items in quotes are user specific

More than once I have spent literally hours believing all hope was lost with a save only to restore (you will have to delete the current file not merge the folders) the correct files and BAM! Im back in the game.

As always... back up frequently before and after all changes and definitely before a patch is released as some mods edit vanilla files and will be overwritten with an update.

Good luck...

we feel yah!

most likely this is due to a mod change or update from steam... unfortunately unless you restore the exact mods you were using you will run into the same problem.

Also check to see if you are actually new... I have experienced a similar problem many times.  Open your player inventory menu. Do you have some of the things you had on your old save?

even so.

At this time there is no way to safely edit player.dat or restore your progress unless you have a perfect backup of the files you had previous to your issue.

I make frequent backups of my current "galaxy name" (Appdata/roaming/Avorion)  and "(install/directory)" Data folder to make sure I dont loose progress. items in quotes are user specific

More than once I have spent literally hours believing all hope was lost with a save only to restore (you will have to delete the current file not merge the folders) the correct files and BAM! Im back in the game.

As always... back up frequently before and after all changes and definitely before a patch is released as some mods edit vanilla files and will be overwritten with an update.

Good luck...

we feel yah!

You are the greatest human being ever!!! after loading the correct files, i got everything back. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!