Insurance upgrade

Spacefaring_Guy

Suggestion

You know what would be really nice? Replacement insurance.

Lose your ship in battle against an AI and the insurance company pays a shipyard to build a replacement based on last filed plans, complete with turrets, upgrades, and crew.

This would involve despawning your wreckage (you give up the salvage rights to the insurance company, who sent out a crew to recover what they could) to prevent farming your own ship and would need periodic payments equal to a percentage of the ship's value, and a minimum time after purchasing the policy before it comes into effect.

5 answers to this suggestion

Current system doesn't recover turrets or upgrades, nor source you crew, or provide ore. So IF you have ore, you can found a new ship, apply your latest plan... and spend a long time looking for crew so the ship doesn't fall apart, then hope you find a good turret merchant, an equipment supplier, etc.

It'd be nice to pay a premium so you could bypass that.

Current system doesn't recover turrets or upgrades, nor source you crew, or provide ore. So IF you have ore, you can found a new ship, apply your latest plan... and spend a long time looking for crew so the ship doesn't fall apart, then hope you find a good turret merchant, an equipment supplier, etc.

It'd be nice to pay a premium so you could bypass that.

Given what insurance costs, I don't think the ore/turret part is a bad idea. I haven't used it at all as I'm averse and allergic to getting myself blown up... We have replacement insurance today for cars, houses etc. I don't see why we can't have it for ships.

No reason we can't have two types of policy paid yearly. One cheap that gives you a lump sum less a % a year for wear and tear and one that ferries you to the nearest ship builder where your new ship awaits built to the spec it was when it 'slpoded. Alternatively, you could make the player get there via the little ore pod, but boy that could get tedious/nasty if you're out in the middle of nowhere.

The crew however is a different story. I think the way that it's handled currently isn't close to what would happen out in the depths of space. I would think it would go more like this:

-An email sent to any and all stations in a sector "crew wanted".

-Crew answers the or goes through a station agent and says sign me up.

-Agent gets together a bunch of files, info, background; Service Records they're called.

-Captain (you) get a list of names and records, make your decisions and send the agent any/all you want on your ship.

-Crew boards a ferry and comes out to the ship.

In that scenario, you can have the crew meet you at the dock and board your vessel without it going critical and destroying itself and stranding you 20 feet from a dock barely able to move because reasons...

Crew record stuff doesn't have to be complicated. I'd be happy with a list and a rank %.  Having insurance provide a base amount for "competent" crew should/could/would be a thing. Be nice to have the current bonus performance applying to all departments so if you spend extra to get the "good crew" you can.

Cheers..!