[REQ] Make XSTN-Artifacts useful! XSTN-Upgrades!

ShadowVision

• Do you remind this feeling when you collected the first artifact? You think it's special, you think it will be usefull till the end, but after the big jump to the core they are just decoratives in your inventory. Okay they could be useful if you don't have any specific exotic (+) Turret-Upgrade, but besides this, these things are a waste of space at this point.

I wish they could be something more special...

Yes, there is a mod out there, that let you combine 5 artifacts to multiply the turret-stat x5 - for 4 more times - but in my opinion this is a "little bit" too OP.

My idea is... well... why not combine 4 different artifacts + a random legendary upgrade to get the +5 any turret stat plus a random exotic/legendary upgrade stat. So there could be something possible like:

• "XSTN-K M-GKS-5" what gives you +5 any turret / + 5 military turrets or
    • "XSTN-K Quantum V Hyperspace" for +5 any turret / Hyperspace Range +7, Hyperspace Cooldown -30%, Recharge-Energy -30%

and so on.

This would have some positve effects:

• after the big jump to the center you can make the artifacts to something more special, so they are no longer just decoratives at this point
  • this adds a little bit more "endgame-content" besides the "kill the wormhole guardian over and over". If you want to maximize your ship-stats you can go back and do the artifact-quests again and get your big reward of a artifact upgrade
  • you could get rid of some shitty legendary items you don't want to sell but you also never use. I mean, i know these problems like "Nah i won't sell it, because i COULD use it in some other ship (i'll never build) :P
  • This could generate a valid "job" as a "artifact-hunter" on some servers - people could sell artifacts / artifact upgrades to other players who don't want to do these quests

Some extra thoughts i actually have

• All 2 upgrade-stats are random, not just +5 any turret + random upgrade, but this could be too frustrating because... i mean... we all want more turrets in the first line :D
  • Also there could be a very low chance (like 0,1%) to get a second extra-upgrade value to generate a real "ultimate artifact upgrade".
  • Maybe the wormhole guardan can also drop a artifact (not a artifact upgrade) at a very very low chance (0,05%)

But to be well balanced here are the "must have" conditions that need to be followed:

• 4 different artifacts + random legendary upgrade - different artifacts to make it harder to get the "ultimate upgrade" - it should be more work than killing the MAD-Boss 4 times. :p So it should take a while to get these...
  • 4 because there are 8 artifacts and you can make 2 "ultimate upgrades" after the "big jump" as a little reward/motivator.
  • It MUST be a random extra-value to make it harder to get the one extra-value you wish to get. So the reward could be big (like +5 all turrets +6 specific turret) but also frustrating (like +5 all turrets + 120% scanner-range). Getting all the "i want to have" upgrades should be a long time target and shouldn't be done in a couple of hours.

I'm not a coder so i don't have any idea how to realize this. Maybe there is someone skilled out there who likes the idea behind this...

I also would like some feedback to this idea - maybe this could be a feature in the final game? What do you think?

Hello Deviuos,

thanks for your reply and for posting this similiar mod, didn't knew about this, and yes it comes very close to my idea.

But sadly it's not exactly what i want, because - for me - it's too easy to get these bonuses. The difference here is, it makes more sense to mostly hunt these artifacts, and legendary upgrades become "less worthy" really fast.

Could you explain what exactly is not possible yet? making the prerequisite with 4 different artifacts + 1 legendary? Or getting these random effects? I just want to understand where exactly the problem is.

Maybe it will be possible to realize my idea after some future updates, i would really like to see this ingame... ^^

Actually it is possible. You just have to create a variable that says when these 5 moduals are used for research then 1 of the random upgrades is selected, instead of making the option random. But this would mean having an "or" option for every modual. So if you were to do it, every modual would need to be added into this script.