[REQ] Pre-generate all systems?

krakenant

Does anyone know of a way to pre-generate all systems? I used an Auto Hotkey script to teleport me around a certain sized rectangle in my drone, but it is often interrupted by bosses and late loading screens.

Alternatively, it seems that the game generates systems attached to gates automatically, any way for a mod to do that in the range of the players scanners? Exploration right now is incredibly painful and takes an incredible amount of time.

There are a million sectors. Creating them all would probably take a very long time on the average computer and eat up a lot of storage space, though if it's feasible it would be a nice feature to have.

our server currently has 30k sectors discovered, the sector files alone are around 30 gigs, I doubt any server would have the appropriate hard drive space to handle a million sectors. 1 million sectors = 2 million files. with factions files your talking rough geuss of around 100k files

our server currently has 30k sectors discovered, the sector files alone are around 30 gigs, I doubt any server would have the appropriate hard drive space to handle a million sectors. 1 million sectors = 2 million files. with factions files your talking rough geuss of around 100k files

So 1k sectors / GB?  You're talking a single terabyte... which used to be a big deal, but not so much these days.  Hell, I have a couple of terabytes primary storage on my workstation, and another four in secondary.  For better performance on a busy server, you'd probably want that in a nice striped array.  Still, if you're the kind of person who likes running their own gaming server, having a RAID controller and a few drives isn't exactly unexpected.  You've probably already paid more than what that would cost just for the video card and monitor on your workstation!

Sector files are extremely inefficient at the moment. Text-based, not compressed and contain quite frankly unnecessary information (such as text name of resources factories produce/consume).

If they were implemented "better" I would recon generating all sectors would be feasible.

Maybe allow us to generate a given area? In all reality I doubt most people care whats outside the 200 or so box meaning only 400x400. If you allow a custom area to spawn, you could say, I am going to go explore -200, 150  through -150, 100 and just spawn that area. I didn't realize the size initially, so yeah, a bunch of optimization to do on those saved files.