System Upgrades and Block Correlations

Sable Phoenix

Suggestion

In working on an analysis of weaponry and turrets in Avorion, I've been thinking about the game's design and how the ship designer and system upgrades are implemented.  There is a rather large imbalanced in the usefulness of various system upgrades, even outside of the raw numbers associated with them.  It occurred to me that the most useful system upgrade cards are usually the ones that have a direct interaction with the function of an actual block that you can build into your ship in the designer.  That then got me thinking about what upgrades are not associated with blocks, and how things might be improved if they were.

Here's a list of system upgrade cards taken from the wiki:

• Battery Upgrade
  • C43 Object Detector
  • Cargo Upgrade
  • Energy To Shield Converter
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Generator Upgrade
  • Improved Trading System
  • Mining System
  • Quantum Hyperspace Upgrade
  • Radar Upgrade
  • Scanner Upgrade
  • Shield Booster
  • Turret Control System
  • Velocity Security Control Bypass

If we correlate each block in the design mode with its associated system upgrades, we get this:

• Energy Container Block > Battery Upgrade
  • Cargo Bay Block > Cargo Upgrade
  • Shield Generator Block > Energy To Shield Converter, Shield Booster
  • Engine Block > Engine Upgrade, Velocity Security Control Bypass
  • Energy Generator Block > Generator Upgrade
  • Hyperspace Core Block > Quantum Hyperspace Upgrade

This leaves us with a selection of half of the system upgrades that are not associated with a block, and conversely, a number of blocks not associated with upgrades.

Upgrades

• C43 Object Detector
  • Improved Trading System
  • Mining System
  • Radar Upgrade
  • Scanner Upgrade
  • Turret Control System

Blocks

• Integrity Field Generator
  • Thruster
  • Computer Core
  • Crew Quarters
  • Gyro Block
  • Inertial Damper
  • Hangar Bay

What I propose is an expansion of both the block and system upgrade lists to make the correlation between the two more explicit and, potentially, more useful.

New Upgrades

Integrity Field Upgrade

Block Association: Integrity Field Generator

First, I would propose that the base effectiveness of the Integrity Field Generator be reduced.  Then, this upgrade could function in all other aspects just like the Shield Generator Upgrade does.

Energy to Integrity Field Converter

Block Association: Integrity Field Generator

This functions just like the Shield version.

Thruster Upgrade

Block Association: Thruster

This one's pretty straightforward, and would function largely like the engine upgrade does, although thrusters do not drain energy the way engines do when boosting so that aspect of the upgrade wouldn't be used.

AI Upgrade

Block Association: Crew Quarters

This block would reduce crew requirements for the ship by implementing the installation of sophisticated AI systems and/or androids into the Crew Quarters block that automatically handle ship functions.

Quantum Gimbal Upgrade

Block Association: Gyro

Through the magic of advanced... you know what, skip the technobabble.  Functionally, this increases the rotational torque of your gyro arrays.

Flight Assist Upgrade

Block Association: Inertial Damper

This would have the ability to increase the drag production and reduce the energy requirements of your inertial damping systems.

Mass Detector

Block Association: Radar Block (see below)

Installing this system upgrade would allow you to detect hidden mass sectors within the full range of your radar.  Split this function off from the existing Radar Upgrade, and make the Radar Upgrade function purely to extend the radar's range.

New Blocks

Sensor Suite

Associated System Upgrades: C43 Object Detector, Scanner Upgrade

The Sensor Block, as its name suggests, highlights interactable objects in the sector.  The C43 Object Detector should now include the function of highlighting ore-bearing asteroids, and it should sense objects out to your max sensor range.  The Scanner Upgrade now simply extends the range of the Sensor Block (synergistically increasing the range of the Object Detector, of course, if you have one installed).  Friendly gates and installations should ping your ship's transponder directly once you enter a sector, so you can always see them regardless of range, but enemies and other objects will not.  If you don't have a Sensor Block installed, don't expect to be able to target everything in the sector as soon as you jump in.

Radar Array

Associated System Upgrades: Radar Upgrade, Mass Detector (see above)

Without a subspace radar installed, you'll be unable to see anything in sectors beyond your jump range (your hyperdrive ostensibly contains enough sensing power to see where you're jumping so it doesn't land you inside a star).  Oh, you also won't be getting any warnings about approaching Xsotan without one, either.

Ore Processor

Associated System Upgrades: Mining System

This block should increase the efficiency of your mining.  Devote enough of your ship's volume to it and you can get your mining efficiency to 100%, at a significant energy cost.  The Mining System would increase that efficiency even farther and/or decrease the energy cost.  Highlighting ore-bearing asteroids is now handled by the Object Detector.

The Improved Trading System is weird.  It seems like that functionality should be as basic to your ship's computer systems as mining and salvaging.  In most space games, the first ship you get is some kind of tramp freighter, and you're expected to spend some time running space sheep and space ramen between various outposts and stations before you get enough money to start tricking out a pirate hunter, or what have you.  I'm not saying Avorion should do that, but I still think the trading capability out to be inherent to your ship, and improving your trading capability should depend upon you expanding the number of locations you've visited, making the Improved Trading System superfluous and a candidate for elimination.  Nevertheless, if we must have it, let's associate it to a block:

C3 (Commercial Communication Computer) System

Associated System Upgrades: Improved Trading System

Long-Range Comms allow you to keep in touch with trading centers and stock exchanges in your area, allowing them to update you on their stock levels at an arbitrary interval.  More volume equals a longer range before you stop receiving updates from them.  The Improved Trading System could increase this block's range and possibly increase the frequency of updates until you're receiving them in real time.

The Computer Core is problematic, because the block currently exists solely to give you more upgrade slots, so creating a System Upgrade to enhance its function seems counterproductive.  Also, it's functionally useless, requiring ridiculous amounts of volume just to get one additional upgrade slot out of it.  Frankly, I think the block should be eliminated completely, or its function changed to something else entirely.

EDIT: I just realized that there's no need to eliminate one block and create another, so why not just change the function of the Computer Core (and potentially its name... "Commercial Computer Core" or something) so that it handles the whole trading aspect of things.  Naturally it would have to be available from Iron on up.

The final block, the Hangar Bay, is actually a block that ostensibly requires a certain amount of space to hold physical objects, much like the cargo hold.  We actually do have an upgrade that improves cargo storage capacity, so we should theoretically have one that improves hangar bay capacity as well.  That being said, I'm mystified as to how an upgrade to the ship's electronics is supposed to increase physical cargo storage space.  What I propose is not the addition of a Hangar Bay upgrade, but an elimination of the Cargo Bay upgrade.

Turrets are the outlier in this list, and already have a laundry list of problems at any rate, so we'll ignore the Turret Control System and avoid the headache of trying to come up with a block for it.  If I had my way the Turret Control System wouldn't exist in the first place.

1 answer to this suggestion

What if you had to physically construct hangars, block by block, and the hangar space was defined as the largest possible cube of space enclosed on 5 sides by ship blocks?  Then you could identify the cavity to the game as a hanger by putting a docking block in the interior.

I agree that the Time Lord module needs to go.  Tis a silly thing.

As for turrets... what if they were manual fire only (as in, crew is keep the turret operational, not aim/fire it) unless you mounted them on turret blocks that added the 'independent targeting' capability?