Third Game Mode??

Warrax

Suggestion

I wonder what others think of this suggestion ...

We have the regular galaxy mode ...

We have Creative Mode, with unlimited sandbox, basically, but all-in-all a full galaxy.

My suggestion for a third mode is a single purposed build mode.

This universe would have all the features of normal Creative Galaxy with these exceptions

1 sector only

Infinite resources and cash - much like Creative

Similar funtions in all respects

Just optimized for building ships.

So ... Effectively, no random events, no enemies, no travelling sales ships, no merchants, and no quests

Just ship building.

Rationale:  fewer issues for a lengthy build.

Maybe the single sector would be defaulted with a slightly higher level of illumination?

Any other thoughts?

Chee s

7 answers to this suggestion

totally agreed, i'd love to have a proper place for designing ships (and stations, too!), basically what the Standalone-Build-Mode from this contest provided... ofc up to date, but its basically what you just suggested...

Oh, and i dont know what to think of the higher lvl of Illumination, sometimes my ships are laying in the dark until you cant see anything, on other days my angle to the sun is so it already makes my eyes tear if i dont turn off Bloom...

Exactly, Fox

By higher illumination, i should have been specific ...

Instead of a Sun illuminating the single sector, perhaps the sector could cast an ambient glow, so that all angles of the ship would be illuminated, and all shadow being eliminated, by affect.

Hyperspace.  It solves two problems and works for both normal and creative modes. 

Just shunt the player to some kind of private 'null space' between leaving one sector and arriving in another. A place to go where you don't get exposed when you log off, a place to go when you want to build unmolested.  No stars, no asteroids, no debris of any kind.  Just a soft, ambient white glow.

Hyperspace.  It solves two problems and works for both normal and creative modes. 

Just shunt the player to some kind of private 'null space' between leaving one sector and arriving in another. A place to go where you don't get exposed when you log off, a place to go when you want to build unmolested.  No stars, no asteroids, no debris of any kind.  Just a soft, ambient white glow.

sry, but cant agree here, dont want to wait twice the loading screens for every sector i jump across just because i get into said "nullspace" everytime... for logging-off there are safe-zones where you dont have to worry about other ppl doing crap with your stuff...

Exactly, Fox

By higher illumination, i should have been specific ...

Instead of a Sun illuminating the single sector, perhaps the sector could cast an ambient glow, so that all angles of the ship would be illuminated, and all shadow being eliminated, by affect.

Aah, now it makes sense, kinda as in shadowfree floodlights on sport-stadiums? Yeah, with that i can agree!

Oh, and how about labeling this 3rd option "Design-Mode", besides Normal and Creative? or more renaming the existing creative to something like "Sandbox-Mode" or "Unlimited", and get the name "Creative-Mode" for this suggestion?

sry, but cant agree here, dont want to wait twice the loading screens for every sector i jump across just because i get into said "nullspace" everytime...

Why twice the loading screens?  Just add another option so it's 'spacebar to continue' or 'N for nullspace'.  After all, the safe/editing space could be entirely on the client machine and have effectively no load time anyway.

for logging-off there are safe-zones where you dont have to worry about other ppl doing crap with your stuff...

I haven't been adversely affected yet, but my understanding is current safe zones are safe against PvP only, not NPC attack.  And you have to find the damn things first.

Why twice the loading screens?  Just add another option so it's 'spacebar to continue' or 'N for nullspace'.  After all, the safe/editing space could be entirely on the client machine and have effectively no load time anyway.

not everyone uses (or likes) that , i was so glad to find the "turn that annoying thingy off"-option i didnt even considered that... good point tho

I haven't been adversely affected yet, but my understanding is current safe zones are safe against PvP only, not NPC attack.  And you have to find the damn things first.

Ofc against other players only, why would one want to have a sector where you can build indestructible stations because they're safe from NPCs, too?

True that you gotta find em first, AFAIK they simply dont exist until you generate a sector with the Safe-Zone-Attribute...

Ofc against other players only, why would one want to have a sector where you can build indestructible stations because they're safe from NPCs, too?

That would certainly be an exploit (and one resolved with the 'null space' option).  The usual player desire is to have a way to log off without risking having their ship destroyed before the server unloads the sector, or to leisurely build a ship in peace... not a place to build indestructible infrastructure.