Faction Warfare

Dal

Im new to the game, and am loving it. Im eager to start fighting in faction battles to push enemies out of system. Is there any instructions on how the faction warfare mechanics are designed?

Example: Enter system, do thing A, then do thing B, then system is now occupied by friendly faction.

or

Example: Enter system, do thing A, system influence has been reduced. Result less hostile reinforcements arrive.

I don't really get myself involved much with faction warfare,  because I'm lazy to deal with them. But as far as I know, whether a faction war can be triggered, mechanics wise, depends on how "aggressive" a particular faction is.

Aside from that, you'll more often than not stumble upon warring factions when exploring. From there, it's simply a matter of choosing which side to support. The first faction that you or your AI ships deal any damage to will instantly drop your reputation to rock bottom with them, (so watch your fire if you don't want to piss off the wrong faction) whilst maxing out your rep with the other. That's about all I know.