Slipping SlipGates: Bug or not? You decide...

Nuetron

So after playing with force turrets and finding how far the teleportation threshold extends on a slipgate...

Confused yet? Go back and watch that again, paying careful attention to the galaxy map, then watch the below video and do the same:

My comments (only AFTER you watch the videos...) :

It looks to me that a slipgate has a static sector for its destination. That said, you could theoretically move a gate across the galaxy, provided you had enough patience and knew where you wanted to put it.

Also, it's easiest to swap slipgates, but I have been able to put just one through another, however I wasn't recording at that point.

Something else; the first time I did it (in the first video) I wound up with a sector that had no slipgates in it at all.

How this can be applied:

• Remove all gates from one sector
  • Fill up a sector with as many gates as you want, so you practically have a "nexus" of gates
  • Use one sector as your garbage sector, and fill it with rocks from other sectors
  • Use one sector as your "Golden" sector by using your gate to gobble up space stations
  • Grief another player by "gobbling" up their stations/ships

TL;DR

A super-duper way of twisting the game to suit your needs... and confuse players, Muahahaha!

• 1 month later...

Hah, I just discovered this myself. A system had a gate close to a wormhole so I made a copy of my galaxy and pushed the gate into the wormhole. I guess I expected a crash.

To my surprise it worked fine. And thus I came here to see if anyone else did this.

Fun stuff!

That said, I think gates should not be movable objects (griefing, etc).