AI-Controlled ships fly slowly when assigned a job

Scoob

Hey all,

New to the game and just bought it today after playing an older version for a few hours at a friends a few days ago.

Anyway, I just started a new 12.4 Game - I'm aware it's Beta - and have built several ships under AI Control.  Two of these are for mining and one for salvage.  Each has a Captain, an Engineer and two Miners, with a couple of spare Crew slots for good measure.  They work pretty well, giving me a steady income while I potter around.

My issue is that each of these craft have a max reported speed of about 76ms, slow, but fine for my needs.  They'll do this speed just fine if ordered to move to a position or guard me, travelling at the full 76ms.  However, when given a Job, i.e. Mining or Salvaging, they only fly at a fraction of this speed when moving between location automatically.

So, my issue is that, while working, my ships travel at a rather slow 32ms instead of their rated 76, yet travel at the full 76 when following me.

Note: Crew levels are fine, power levels are hugely over what's needed.  Plus I've tried adding more engines to no avail.  These craft are about as basic as they can be, in essence the most basic "starter" ship from the Shipyard, with various thrusters and a single Mining / Salvage Turret added.

Any advice welcome :)

Scoob.

My advice is to design your own ship for them to use. The ships from the shipyards are procedurally generated and so do not have an optimal design. You should easily be able to design a ship that has a 200-300m/s top speed and better turret placement. You can use the shipyard to build a basic ship (so you get the captain), then get into the ship and change it/load a blueprint however you want.

But yeah, AI ships seem to move at 1/3 speed or so while doing their mining and until the AI is changed, there's not much you can do to make them faster short of building an actual faster ship.

Hi,

Yes, that's what I've done, all ships are my own - albeit very basic - design, and perform well when flown manually or simply ordered to move to a position etc.

The developer did confirm that there's an issue with slow movement - and navigation in general - that's being looked at.  So, things should improve over time.

Scoob.