Make some materials specialized

bagaznal

Suggestion

So, I've been playing Avorion for 24 hours straight now..... There went my social life..... >.<

Anyways, while I was playing, I thought about how you do materials. As it is, materials are tiered, AKA theres a linear progression in how to upgrade your ships. You have a fully Iron ship? Upgrade to Titanium! You have a fully titanium ship? Upgrade to Neonite! (And so on). This creates a bit of a problem, which is where one resource will completely outweigh every other, and there's no longer a point to collecting them. I'm recommending instead, you give a use to EVERY resource, so that each (with the exception of maybe iron) is used for various things.

When I was reading, I read that Naonite and Xanite are both considered "Tech" materials. What would be cool, is if the resulting stats reflected that difference; Since they ARE Tech materials, maybe they should make better than normal shields and generators! This way, no resource is necessary "superior", each one has its own independent use. One thing I would heavily like to see is Ogonite become one of the best armors available. It would make sense, given how dense it has to be for its weight, but make it also less desirable for other components. Its just a suggestion, but I think it would add a lot more creativity and work to reach the end game with these changes.

1 answer to this suggestion

Currently the only two which have any use in the endgame are Avorion (useful for pretty much everything) and Trinium (since it's light). But even then Avorion has better health for the same weight so in fact it's better to use thin Avorion plates than thicker Trinium for the same weight.

There really isn't much we can do about one material being the best for armour at it will always be the one with the highest HP/mass ratio. However if they had armour values as well as HP, coupled with AP values on weapons, there could be some incentive to use other armours, based on what you're up against; against high-damage, low-AP weapons you might want Ogonite, which would still have lower health than Avorion but have a much higher armour value, while against something with a huge AP value you'd be better off with Avorion. Also, there could be an armour debuff for thinner armour to encourage the use of Trinium for lightweight ships.

I'd like to see Xanion be useful for certain functional components, with possibly Naonite having a niche use as well, but I think it's fine if Titanium and Iron have no place in the end game, so long as we have at least 3 materials which are actually worth mining.