Bad performance in new patch

Efeyabel

Hi everyone. I got a dedicated machine whit i5 and 8gb ram.

I last patch we can play up to 6 person on same sector whit 0 lag.

But in recent patch if 3 person are on the same sector the console start to spam:

- Can't keep up, skipping 45 frames..

This grow to 113 frames or more. We make a whole new universe to start this patch. But is really anoying now we can play on the same sector.

Any ideas who i can give my server more machine resources?

Hi, I can not prove it but I think there is any kind of network issue. However, this does not seem to happen on all servers... but we got performance issues on our server too.

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,3578.0.html

Did some testing. At all it looks like there is any network issue, but it does not prove that there is a network issue in Avorion.

Other games on the server work fine.

It is astonishing that the performance of Avorion was improved with the update (try to play offline, it works fine), but the performance on your server got even worse...

Our server:

i7 2600K (8 core)

16gb ram

Windows server 2016

Wich os do you use on your server?

I use Windows server 2016 too.

I check and i dont got conectivity problems. In fac i shutdown avorion and start another server like 7days and works fine. I dont know why now work worse when the only thing i do is update to new patch.

EDIT: i see steam use the same port of Avorion, this can be a problem?

Three players seemed to be the magic number for us as well on our server.

One player = 100% fine

Two players = 90% ok

Three players = 5% working...

We even tried starting a new galaxy but had the same issues. Our server owner is going to attempt uninstalling/reinstalling Avorion on the server to see if this resolves the issue.

Using a old crappy rig (half of it litteraly found laying next to a trash pile on the side of a road), start skipping frames (1 frames or 2) when peeps are 3 or 3+, while 5+ sector are still somewhat active cause of AI-controled player ships.

Never tested with more than 5 players at the same time tho.

The Bin-Rig:

Pentium D (dual core 2.66ghrz)

4 GB of DDR2 (offbrand lowcost thing)

1 IDE-CF bridge , 2x 8GB CF cards used on an adapter to IDE as a IDE SSD.

Ethernet 10/100, but plugged in a 550mbps down /230mbps up connection, 16ms with paris.

Warning: ArchLinux got its repositories quite flaked up lately, and quite a bit of things changed. Using a graphical installer of some sort to install it seems to rely on installing more useless crapware than the windows store. If you want to do things right, type commands and edit parameter with vim, then install (if you REALLY want to) a desktop env by yourself, using xorg. Don't make it start with the computer tho. Desktop Environnements are usefull when it comes to managing files of your server, like deleting sectors of old avorion versions to have them regenerated, but it's not needed for the server to be ran.

Tips: you will need for SteamCMD and Avorion server to run some libraries, like libstdc or lib32-gcc, for that you must enable Multilib repository in pacman's config file (which you can edit using the following command: sudo vi /etc/pacman.conf )

=> If you don't know linux to much, try using Debian or Ubuntu... but on a better rig than that, or it will never run!!

=> ArchLinux is a stripped down to the bones OS. I'm a windows guy normally, but for anything related to "server performances", I totally pledge faith into linux, and even more in a barebone OS like ArchLinux. But I perfectly understand that's not made for everyone, but you may consider it if you really want a server to run smooth on consumer and/or crappy old components.