Velocity and Acceleration Don't Work

Draxiss

Suggestion

Note: Most of the this is directly copied from my reddit post on the subject: https://www.reddit.com/r/avorion/comments/6s3sh5/suggestionmod_idea_maximum_velocity_should_be/

I have updated my thoughts on the subject and added a bit with this post, though.

For some reason, the Max Velocity cap is based off of how many thrusters you have, which makes no sense. The in-game justification is that it's for safety reasons, but allowing bigger ships to move faster than smaller ships sounds about the opposite of safe. Additionally, so long as the acceleration isn't too abrupt, there is no velocity a ship might travel at that will cause it to break apart from the stress or whatever.

Instead, the max velocity in a given direction should be based on how quickly you can accelerate in the opposite direction, or just based on how fast you can go after a given number of seconds (say, 1, 2, or 5?). Maybe ships have the option of choosing between the two, so the cool maneuver where you turn around and boost in the opposite direction to slow down is still relevant.

The reasons I've given so far have been based on a realism/sense-making perspective, but there's also good gameplay balance reasons to make maximum velocity based on acceleration over a fixed amount of time. This allows players to make small and fast ships, gives larger ships a building challenge if they want to stay quick and maneuverable, and means that you're a LOT less likely to bump into stuff because you're going too fast. Seriously, speed limits are there so you don't run into stuff. If people are running into stuff in spite of your speed limits, there is probably something wrong with your speed limits. If you base speed limits on how long it takes you to brake in 5 seconds or so, a much more intuitive approach to movement is had.

I would like to point out that this suggestion doesn't negate the usefulness of the Velocity Security Bypass System that applying a max acceleration or somesuch would have. However, I really think really shouldn't be necessary to install a module to boost beyond the default speed limit; that should be a built-in option. Also, how do you manage to leak energy by maintaining your normal acceleration? I could see a non-linear relationship between how much energy you put into a thruster and the output in terms of acceleration yielding diminishing returns, but a constant acceleration should NOT become less efficient after you've passed some arbitrary speed limit relative to . . . whatever is deciding what a zero velocity is.

Finally, am I flying through the vacuum of space or am I flying through soup? While I get that I would encounter the occasional particle in a vacuum, my velocity would not be affected AT ALL like how the game slows ships down. In fact, it'd be pretty negligible over the distances you fly in normal gameplay (not including jumping). I really want to have that feeling of moving up to a certain velocity, cutting the thrusters, and spinning around to shoot things like I'm in a Star Fury. (*coughBabylon5isamazingcough*

) I'm probably going to go into more detail on this in a later post, but for now, I'd just like to have an option to control the 'thickness' of a Galaxy.

TL:DR: Base max velocity off of ability to brake and NOT off of vessel size. You shouldn't leak energy based off of velocity (with the Velocity Security Bypass). Stop making my ship fly through soup instead of the vacuum of space.

Okay because I really like Star Furies and they're what inspired me, here's a few more links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96idw23kHdY

0 answers to this suggestion

There have been no answers to this suggestion yet